[comp.sys.acorn] comp.{binaries,sources}.acorn

pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) (03/27/91)

Now that comp.sources.acorn and comp.binaries.acorn have been created
(cheers, Tiggr), hadn't we better agree on the format of the postings, ie
what software is going to be used to bundle the data up?

--Fil.

Philip Colmer, OA Project Leader, Acorn Computers Ltd (pcolmer@acorn.co.uk)

aglover@acorn.co.uk (Alan Glover) (03/28/91)

In article <6076@acorn.co.uk> pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) writes:

>Now that comp.sources.acorn and comp.binaries.acorn have been created
>(cheers, Tiggr), hadn't we better agree on the format of the postings, ie
>what software is going to be used to bundle the data up?
>
>--Fil.

I'm pursuing a couple of options within Acorn, and hope to announce a
proposed format for binaries next week. Sources will be plain ASCII text.

The choices I have at the moment are:

1) Fil's Sumbit/Extract

2) UUcoded Sparkives

3) A new proposal called LZJU90

Options 1 and 3 need some coding done before they are 100% usable (3 more
than 1).

If you have a strong preference MAIL ME - we used quite enough bandwidth
deciding about these groups without doing it all again to choose how things
get posted!

Alan

PS - Congratulations to Philip Banks - first off the mark for the binaries
group! Other potential postings are welcome ahead of the decision about how
to post them (in formats 1 or 2 above).

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) (04/02/91)

aglover@acorn.co.uk (Alan Glover) writes:

>The choices I have at the moment are:
>1) Fil's Sumbit/Extract
>2) UUcoded Sparkives
>3) A new proposal called LZJU90

>If you have a strong preference MAIL ME - we used quite enough bandwidth
>deciding about these groups without doing it all again to choose how things
>get posted!

I mailed you before you posted this with an proposal for the BBC, Master and
Electron (UUEncoded ARCives, using Bart Bruns's Arc or anything that is
compatible with both PC arc 5.1 and Spark 1.00 (not sure about Spark version
number)).

I haven't heard of you, and don't see it here. I just hope that the group
won't be Archimedes only...

----
For the people who haven't seen comp.{binaries,sources}.acorn :
many system administrators are slow in creating the groups (including
mine :-(), ask them or wait a while. If they wait for more than a month,
complain Very Loudly Indeed to them (the sysadm, that is).
----

-                                       Gerben
--
--- Gerben Vos <>< - Aconet: BIGBEN!Gerben Vos - Internet: gpvos@cs.vu.nl
---- Waiting since March 24th for the cs.vu.nl system administration

aglover@acorn.co.uk (Alan Glover) (04/03/91)

In article <9522@star.cs.vu.nl> gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:

>I haven't heard of you, and don't see it here. I just hope that the group
>won't be Archimedes only...

To clear this once and for all (this goes for comp.sys.acorn too) NONE of
the comp...acorn groups are for the Archimedes, or any other specific Acorn
computer.

Whether programs/sources for the 6502 machines appear is up to you out there
- I'll be drawing on SID's program library for some postings, but the rest
come from you. At the moment I have several waiting to be posted for the ARM
machines and none (apart from Gerben's encoding/decoding) for the 6502
machines.

(Another general point - since the A3000 is not, strictly speaking, an
Archimedes - it is a BBC A3000 computer - I will be differentiating between
the distinct families of machines by their CPU, ie 6502 or ARM based. Unless
I qualify the statement 6502 includes CMOS 6502s, 6512 etc, and ARM is ARM2
or ARM3.)

I'm still arranging things here regarding posting to the new groups and
deciding the format - more on that soon.

Alan

PS - Apologies to Gerben, and anyone else expecting a quick mail reply from
me; I'm doing this in addition to everything I do usually, so it sometimes
get to wait behind more urgent jobs.