[comp.sys.acorn] How do I kill the audio filter?

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Wright) (04/08/91)

I have once or twice seen obscure references to hardware fixes for the
Archimedes to cut off the low-pass filter, but never any specific
details. Does anybody know how to implement such a fix? I have an A310
hooked up to my stereo and hearing music an AM radio would (almost) be
proud of is getting quite depressing. :-(

The A3000 doesn't seem quite so bad in this respect (or maybe it's just
the size of it's speakers...) but I am stuck with an A310.

    Cheers, Julian.

--
;`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````;
; I would if I could but I can't so I won't but I might if I find I can later ;

gaspar@urz.unibas.ch (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr08.002633.14474@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Wright) writes:

> I have once or twice seen obscure references to hardware fixes for the
> Archimedes to cut off the low-pass filter, but never any specific
> details. Does anybody know how to implement such a fix? I have an A310
> hooked up to my stereo and hearing music an AM radio would (almost) be
> proud of is getting quite depressing. :-(
>
> The A3000 doesn't seem quite so bad in this respect (or maybe it's just
> the size of it's speakers...) but I am stuck with an A310.
>
>     Cheers, Julian.

I don't know the exact position but it must be near the audio output socket
where there is a 10 pin connector looking like this:
              (1)-> . . . . . <-(9)
                    . . . . . <- ground
Now the first pin (1) in the upper row is the left channel and the last pin (9)
in the first row is the right channel. All the pins in the second row are wired
to ground. You can use these pins and connect them to a stereo socket that you
can connect to your HiFi set. You should use a shielded wire!
Hope this helps,
                   laci

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (John Julian Wright) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.135627.1492@urz.unibas.ch>, gaspar@urz.unibas.ch writes:
|> I don't know the exact position but it must be near the audio output socket
|> where there is a 10 pin connector looking like this:
|>               (1)-> . . . . . <-(9)
|>                     . . . . . <- ground

Am I to understand that this is a pre-filtered audio output? If so, it's just
what I have been looking for! Thanks.

    Cheers, Julian.
--
;`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````;

gaspar@urz.unibas.ch (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr09.003223.18447@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (John Julian Wright) writes:

> In article <1991Apr8.135627.1492@urz.unibas.ch>, gaspar@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> |> I don't know the exact position but it must be near the audio output socket
> |> where there is a 10 pin connector looking like this:
> |>               (1)-> . . . . . <-(9)
> |>                     . . . . . <- ground
>
> Am I to understand that this is a pre-filtered audio output? If so, it's just
> what I have been looking for! Thanks.
>
>     Cheers, Julian.

Yes, it is the 'raw' signal! Apparently not only the higher frequencies you'll
hear better but the noise is also reduced quite a bit!
    Have fun,
                laci

kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.121851.1497@urz.unibas.ch> gaspar@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> Yes, it is the 'raw' signal! Apparently not only the higher frequencies you'll
> hear better but the noise is also reduced quite a bit!

Then why is the filter there in the first place? Processor noise is what
detracts most from the sound on my A3000. Is taht influenced by the filter?

Just some ignorant questions from

Kjetil T.

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (John Julian Wright) (04/12/91)

In article <KJETILHO.91Apr11080351@sognsvann.uio.no>,
kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme) writes:
|> Then why is the filter there in the first place? Processor noise is
|> what
|> detracts most from the sound on my A3000. Is taht influenced by the
|> filter?

Apparently it is there to make the sound coming from the _internal_ speaker(s)
sound better. What surprises me is that the unfiltered sound output has been
available all this time and Acorn didn't feed it to a connector at the rear
of the machine...(an external one I mean!)

    Cheers, Julian.
--