[comp.sys.acorn] NFS file system

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (04/26/91)

Having a archimedes R140 and an ethernet card in it, i wonder:
Is it possible to have the archimedes under RiscOS access a remote
file system using NFS? It can be done using RiscIX, but i don't
know how to do this under RiscOS.

Is this possible? If so, would anybody explain how?

Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (04/27/91)

In article <klamer.672658931@mi.eltn.utwente.nl> klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) writes:
>Is it possible to have the archimedes under RiscOS access a remote
>file system using NFS? It can be done using RiscIX, but i don't
>know how to do this under RiscOS.
>
>Is this possible? If so, would anybody explain how?

Yes, it is easy.  You go out and buy a copy of the RISC OS TCP/IP kit which
includes telnet, a VT220 emulator and Archi. NFS.  It works very well, I use
it every day.  It has a number of advantages including long file names and
it does sensible UNIX<>RISC OS name mapping too.  The desktop filer is a bit
buggy when run with long file names but I reported it to Acorn and they said
they were fixing it.  I think it cost quite a bit one off but the site licence
is cheep by comparison.

kirkham@shiva.trl.oz (Daniel Kirkham) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr27.113342.2972@cl.cam.ac.uk> nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) writes:
>In article <klamer.672658931@mi.eltn.utwente.nl> klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) writes:
>>Is it possible to have the archimedes under RiscOS access a remote
>>file system using NFS? It can be done using RiscIX, but i don't
>>know how to do this under RiscOS.
>>
>>Is this possible? If so, would anybody explain how?
>
>Yes, it is easy.  You go out and buy a copy of the RISC OS TCP/IP kit which
>includes telnet, a VT220 emulator and Archi. NFS.  It works very well, I use
>it every day.  [ ... ]

Is this product limited to use with the ethernet card, or does it support
other types of interfaces? For instance, is it possible to supply another
packet driver which turns the serial (RS423) port into a SLIP or Asynch PPP
interface? Obviously NFS is not a viable proposition on such a link, but
telnet, using TCP with header compression (a la CSLIP) would be useful.

Perhaps someone could let the group know what is in the kit. I'd certainly
like to know the part number so I can ask the Acorn reps here for a local
price.

Daniel Kirkham
--
Daniel Kirkham,                  Internet           d.kirkham@trl.oz.au
Telecom Research Laboratories,   UUCP  {uunet,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!d.kirkham

osmith@acorn.co.uk (Owen Smith) (05/02/91)

You can plug your own protocol drivers in on the underneath of !VT220. I'm
not sure how well documented this is though.

Owen.

The views expressed are my own and are not necessarily those of Acorn.

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.140440.5606@trl.oz.au> kirkham@shiva.trl.oz (Daniel Kirkham) writes:
>In article <1991Apr27.113342.2972@cl.cam.ac.uk> nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) writes:
>>                You go out and buy a copy of the RISC OS TCP/IP kit which
>>includes telnet, a VT220 emulator and Archi. NFS.
>
>Is this product limited to use with the ethernet card, or does it support
>other types of interfaces? For instance, is it possible to supply another
>packet driver which turns the serial (RS423) port into a SLIP or Asynch PPP
>interface? Obviously NFS is not a viable proposition on such a link, but
>telnet, using TCP with header compression (a la CSLIP) would be useful.
>
>Perhaps someone could let the group know what is in the kit. I'd certainly
>like to know the part number so I can ask the Acorn reps here for a local
>price.

The Acorn port of TCP/IP is a pretty direct port of the UCB original as used
in RISCiX.  They have made little effort to make it support other hardware and
no effort to make it modular.  The software that is shipping works over
Ethernet and over Econet but nothing else, it is hard wired to work on Acorn's
ethernet cards and will not support cards from other people.  Maybe if we give
them enough gyp here they will modularise it and then we can add serial and
other types of connection.

The kit has NFS, telnet, a VT220 emulator and a bunch of other utilities.
There is also a TCP/IP programmers kit now on the pricelist but I have not
seen it yet.  I hear it gives UNIX like set of header files for sockets etc.

| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |