[comp.sys.acorn] c.b.a posting: CLIB 3.66 - NOT PD !

aglover@acorn.co.uk (Alan Glover) (05/02/91)

I have just posted a package containing CLIB 3.66 to comp.binaries.acorn.

If you use this posting, you are considered to have entered into the end
user licence agreement listed below.....

Software Licence Conditions
---------------------------

The software in the following posting is not Public Domain, and is governed
by a Licence. Please read the Licence completely.

BY EXTRACTING THIS SOFTWARE YOU ACCEPT THE LICENCE CONDITIONS.

Acorn Computers Limited: End User Licence Conditions

1. Definitions

The following expressions have the meanings given here:

"Acorn" - means Acorn Computers Limited, being either owner of all intellectual property rights in the Software, or having the right to grant licences of the Software.

"Developer" - means any third party developer who retains copyright in the Software.

"Software" - means the programs contained in encoded object code form (on
comp.binaries.acorn)

2. Licence

Acorn grants you a personal non-transferable non-exclusive licence (or sub-licence), as follows:

(1)  You may copy the Software for use, and back-up purposes to support its
     use, on one stand-alone Acorn computer system.

(2)  You must ensure that the copyright notices contained in the Software are
     reproduced and included in any copy of the Software.

(3)  You may not:

     (i)   copy only part of the Software; or

     (ii)  make the Software available to any third party by way of gift
           or loan or hire;
           or

     (iii) incorporate any part of the Software into other programs
           developed or used by you.

3.  Term

This licence remain in effect unless you terminate it:

(1)  by destroying the Software and all copies; or

(2)  by failing to comply with the Conditions.
4.  Limited Warranty and Disclaimer of Liability

(1)  The Software is supplied "as is": neither Acorn nor the Developer make
any warranty, whether express or implied, of the merchantability of the
Software or its fitness for any particular purpose.

(2)  In no circumstances will Acorn be liable for any damage, loss of
profits, good-will or for any indirect or consequential loss arising out of
your use of the Software, or inability to use the Software, even if Acorn
has been advised of the possibility of such loss.

5.   General

This conditions supercede any prior agreement, oral or written, between you
and Acorn relating to the Software.

.... Any enquiries about this should be addressed to our Legal department.

=========

More good news - MsgTrans 0.06 will be coming soon!

Alan

aglover@acorn.co.uk - Moderator of comp.binaries.acorn/comp.sources.acorn
Mail submissions to submit@acorn.co.uk, other mail to moderator@acorn.co.uk

Albert.Koelmans@newcastle.ac.uk (Albert Koelmans) (05/02/91)

aglover@acorn.co.uk (Alan Glover) writes:

>I have just posted a package containing CLIB 3.66 to comp.binaries.acorn.

>If you use this posting, you are considered to have entered into the end
>user licence agreement listed below.....

[stuff deleted]

>(3)  You may not:

>     (ii)  make the Software available to any third party by way of gift
>           or loan or hire;

This means, as far as I'm concerned, that this package will *not* appear on
the Newcastle info server.

Albert

JANET:  Albert.Koelmans@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP:   ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!Albert.Koelmans
Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK (telephone +44 091-2228155,fax 2228232)

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (05/03/91)

In <6789@acorn.co.uk> aglover@acorn.co.uk (Alan Glover) writes:

>I have just posted a package containing CLIB 3.66 to comp.binaries.acorn.

This is a shared C library -- something you can only use if you link it
with other software.

Let now come to the license were this message is about:

>2. Licence

>Acorn grants you a personal non-transferable non-exclusive licence (or sub-licence), as follows:

>(1)  You may copy the Software for use, and back-up purposes to support its
>     use, on one stand-alone Acorn computer system.

What is stand-alone? I don't want to take away my ethernet (or econet, if i
had it) to use a software update!

>(3)  You may not:

>     (iii) incorporate any part of the Software into other programs
>           developed or used by you.

This one is really nice. I get a library, but am not allowed to link it with
other software! So i just received garbage!

>.... Any enquiries about this should be addressed to our Legal department.

Please, please give me their address! I really don't understand their policy.
(But i suspect they don't understand what they license... )

>More good news - MsgTrans 0.08 will be coming soon!

What is it??? Again some unusable-licensed bandwidth-consuming piece of
this garbage?

Klamer (Not too pleased by such postings!)
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

charlesw@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (William Charles.) (05/07/91)

A resounding 'here here' from me!

What was the point of the Clib posting if it's not PD? It can only help
Acorn and all Archie owners if such essential software is made available
to all with no strings attached. I for one can't fathom how a piece of
software posted to comp.binaries.acorn can be down-loaded by all, but
can be distributed no further...

Typical bl**dy Acorn if you ask me!

Will.

--
- .signature ------------------
Today's smiley is...

(8-o	Mr. Bill

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (05/07/91)

It is rather wierd the way Acorn have posted that 3.66 Clib.  The only
reason I can see with it not being PD is so that they can ensure that it doesnt
change and modified versions don't go round.

As far as I see it the only strings attached to any Acorn module should be
that it is not changed.

Surely its in Acorns interest to ensure that everyone is using the latest
version of Modules rather than messing about with everyone having
different versions of CLib.

Dave

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -

) (05/09/91)

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:
> It is rather wierd the way Acorn have posted that 3.66 Clib.  The only
> reason I can see with it not being PD is so that they can ensure that it does
> change and modified versions don't go round.

And so that people don't start selling it for profit!

mathew
[ PD or not PD?  That is the question...  Ah, well. You can't make a Hamlet
  without breaking eggs. ]