[comp.sys.acorn] Rumour time, Super A3000, 24 bit colour, VIDC2

aod@dcs.exeter.ac.uk (Anthony O'Doherty) (05/09/91)

I've just been looking through the latest edition of The Micro User, and
came across something in their news pages concerning the graphics
enhancer card from The Serial Port. For anyone who doesn't know, this
will enable your Arc to display true 24 bit colour at a variety of
resolutions.

What interested me (apart from the stunning screenshot) was the file
format that was being used for images produced using this board. Rather
than use TIFF, they've gone for the Clear file format as used by John
Kortink with Translator etc. The reason given was that Acorn haven't yet
got their act together where TIFF is concerned, although they have
allocated a filetype and a sprite to TIFF. What's the problem guys?

The other thing that caught my eye was the mention of a VIDC2 chip
believed to be on the way. Unfortunately it didn't say anything about
what to expect from this, only that it would be an improvement. Can we
expect to see this chip in the rumoured 'super' A3000, complete with an
ARM3 and an internal hard drive for under #1000? If such a chip is on
the way then would existing owners be able to upgrade?

Anybody at Acorn (or elsewhere) care to comment?

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (05/10/91)

In article <3296@izar.dcs.exeter.ac.uk> aod@dcs.exeter.ac.uk (Anthony O'Doherty) writes:
>The other thing that caught my eye was the mention of a VIDC2 chip
>believed to be on the way. Unfortunately it didn't say anything about
>what to expect from this, only that it would be an improvement. Can we
>expect to see this chip in the rumoured 'super' A3000, complete with an
>ARM3 and an internal hard drive for under #1000? If such a chip is on
>the way then would existing owners be able to upgrade?

If Acorn (or ARM Ltd.) were to produce another VIDC with higher resolution
as every one expects them to it is unlikely to be easy, or even possable, to
upgrade to it in any sensable way becasue the real limiting factor on the
Archi. at the moment as far as graphics goes is the data bus bandwidth.  The
MEMC can only get 25.6 MB/s out of the RAM.  If you look at the dot clock rate
needed to drive most multisync type monitorsit is 24-36MHz for the low
resolution modes and more like 60-70MHz for the decent resolutions.  Thus it
is just about possable to get 8bit modes at 24MHz (needs 24MB/s) or 4bit
at 36MHz (needs 18MB/s) but at 63.98MHz which is what a Taxan 795 expects for
doing 1024/768 you can only get 2bits per pixel (16MB/s).  If ARM Ltd or
Acorn make a new graphics controler then if it is going to be worth making
(i.e. does anything you can't already get) it will need a VRAM interface
and it will not be possable to exploit its power on existing machines without
major effort.

| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |