[comp.sys.acorn] ftp & newcastle

s871985@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Scott Peucker) (05/18/91)

Well...Everything I have recently obtained from Newcastle, or ftp'd has refused
to de-arc itself once I have downloaded it...I seem to continually get
"Bad header in file xxx" (from both Sparkplug i and II)...
Any Ideas why this could be?
Is it the link to my site ?
Help would be appreciated, It is frustrating haveing alot of applications I
cannot get at!!!

Scott.

  -- /|   Scott Peucker,    s871985@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au --
 -- /_|                     another address coming soon  --
-- /  |rchi                                             --

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May17.173257.28868@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> s871985@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Scott Peucker) writes:
>Well...Everything I have recently obtained from Newcastle, or ftp'd has refused
>to de-arc itself once I have downloaded it...I seem to continually get
>"Bad header in file xxx" (from both Sparkplug i and II)...
>Any Ideas why this could be?
>Is it the link to my site ?
>Help would be appreciated, It is frustrating haveing alot of applications I
>cannot get at!!!

I found this with a recent download - it seems Albert is in the process of
converting all the Sparked files into .tar.Z.uu files!  I wholeheartedly
support this. I was getting scunnered with incompatible arc formats too;
now I can extract the bits I want (like the ghostscript sources alone :-) )
before I download at 1200Bd...

Graham
(I *am* a bit surprised the change wasn't announced though...)

Albert.Koelmans@newcastle.ac.uk (Albert Koelmans) (05/20/91)

s871985@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Scott Peucker) writes:

>Well...Everything I have recently obtained from Newcastle, or ftp'd has refused
>to de-arc itself once I have downloaded it...I seem to continually get
>"Bad header in file xxx" (from both Sparkplug i and II)...
>Any Ideas why this could be?
>Is it the link to my site ?

This may be my fault for not putting the info in the files. When people send
me floppies with unarced stuff on, I always use compress and tar on Unix to
wrap the files (I also include the commands to set the file types).

So try uuudecode, uncompress and tar xf to unwrap the files.

Albert

Graham Toal writes:

>I found this with a recent download - it seems Albert is in the process of
>converting all the Sparked files into .tar.Z.uu files!  I wholeheartedly
>support this. I was getting scunnered with incompatible arc formats too;

My policy is quite simple: I try to minimise the amount of time I have to
spend. If people send me Spark files, I store them as Spark files. If people
send me adfs discs, I extract them on our R260 network with adfscp -R, and
then compress and tar them, mainly because Spark is desparately slow in
creating archives. I do not convert anything if I can avoid it.

Albert