[comp.sys.acorn] ghostscript

cs9h9tts@cybaswan.UUCP (t.simpson) (05/14/91)

Excuse my ignorance, but we haven't got comp.bin.acorn working here in
Swansea yet, but what is Ghostscript, everyone seems to be going on
about it..

Ta. Tom.

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (05/21/91)

In article <2507@cybaswan.UUCP> cs9h9tts@cybaswan.UUCP (t.simpson) writes:
>Excuse my ignorance, but we haven't got comp.bin.acorn working here in
>Swansea yet, but what is Ghostscript, everyone seems to be going on
>about it..

It is the Gnu-project's PostScript clone.  It reads postscript files
and converts them to bitmaps.  Most implementations offer an interactove
postscript interpreter and will display the created bitmaps on the
screen; I believe there are also versions which are used as the engine
on top of a non-postscript laser printer.  For instance, I suspect you
could use Ghostscript to turn your cheap 'Laser Direct' printer into
a postscript one.

The only problems I've heard with it are to do with font compatibility;
I don't know how David is handling that -- using Acorn fonts, X fonts,
genuine downloaded postscript Type I or Type III fonts, or all of the
above :-)  [Also I suspect TeX's pk fonts? If not, why not? :-)]

Graham
PS This is of course hearsay - I haven't got a copy myself yet...

dahe@cl.cam.ac.uk (David Elworthy) (05/21/91)

In article <10390@castle.ed.ac.uk> gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) writes:

>The only problems I've heard with it are to do with font compatibility;
>I don't know how David is handling that -- using Acorn fonts, X fonts,
>genuine downloaded postscript Type I or Type III fonts, or all of the
>above :-)  [Also I suspect TeX's pk fonts? If not, why not? :-)]

I'm using the fonts that came with it. I did think of using the Acorn fonts,
but after consultation with the original authors, I decided it would involve
more effort than I was willing to put in to it. The following extract from
fonts.doc explains where the fonts come from:

Ghostscript fonts
-----------------

The fonts included with Ghostscript come in several parts:

	- Font data in files *.gsf: each file defines one (transformable)
	  font specified in outline form.

	- BuildChar procedures in gfonts.ps: these provide the algorithms
	  for interpreting the data in the .gsf files.

	- The Fontmap file: this relates Ghostscript font names to .gsf
          file names.

Currently, the fonts supplied with Ghostscript are based on various
public domain bitmap fonts, mostly the ones supplied with the X11
distribution from MIT, and on the public domain Hershey fonts.  ...
The bitmap-derived fonts include the usual Helvetica,
Times-Roman, and so on; see the file `Fontmap' for the complete list, in
the usual roman, italic, bold, and bold italic styles (for the most
part).  The Hershey fonts, on the other hand, are quite different from
traditional ones; the file `hershey.doc' describes them in more detail.

There is also a single rather heavy home-grown font called Ugly that may
be preferable to the other fonts at small sizes (where the
bitmap-derived fonts tend to be too light).  This font is the file
`ugly_r.gsf' in the Ghostscript source distribution.

Since Ghostscript uses the Adobe Type 1 format for fonts, there are lots
of opportunities for improvement.  Eventually, the right approach is to
use higher-quality fonts, and to implement some of the Type 1 hint
facilities.

Work is underway to create high-quality fonts for Ghostscript in
particular, and the GNU project in general.  The fonts distributed with
the current release of Ghostscript have the redeeming value that they are
available *now*.

---

-- david