[comp.sys.acorn] Newcastle - Spark vs. .tar.Z.uu files

rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (05/22/91)

> I found this with a recent download - it seems Albert is in the process of
> converting all the Sparked files into .tar.Z.uu files!

I'm in two minds about this myself.

On the one hand I can see the benefits of people with UNIX machines being
able to look at the stuff before downloading (of course, VMS people may
not be so lucky...), but I find it fiddly to extract the stuff on the
archimedes end (since Albert isn't using the Extract/Submit 'protocol' and
I still think Extract/Submit still needs working on - especially on 1MB
floppy-only machines). Here's the fuss I have to go through with Newcastle
files...

uudecode prog_uue                  (watching out for dodgy CR-LFs)
compress -d < prog-Z > prog        (note the non-RISC OS redirection there !)
tar tvf prog                       (just to see what's in there)
tar xvf prog                       (finally extract it !)
[Note that you might need the U flag for tar if it was packed in UNIX format]

So you're relying on THREE programs working OK and all this probably isn't too
clever on a 1MB machine either :-(

Personally, I find it easier with SparkPlug 2 (mind you, like 99% of decoders,
it's real STUPID about CR-LF terminators on uuencoded files...).

Richard K. Lloyd,       **** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.4 ****
Computer Science Dept.,   JANET     : rkl@uk.ac.liv.cs.and
Liverpool University,     Internet  : rkl%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Merseyside, England,      UUCP      : ..!mcsun!ukc!liv-cs!rkl
Great Britain.          Q: "What's the world's fastest home micro ?"
L69 3BX                 A: "The Archimedes A3000. 4 MIPS for under 800 pounds."

fl@tools.uucp (Frank Lancaster) (05/24/91)

rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:

> [Note that you might need the U flag for tar if it was packed in UNIX format]

You only need the U flag to CREATE unix compatible tar files. Even if you
forget it when creating you can still use the archive on an UNIX machine
as the standard tar header is always filled with correct information.

Frank Lancaster