DOes anyone know if any similar things apply to ARM3 upgrades for
the R140.

Has anyone added an ARM3 to an R140 - if so I'd be interested in any comments.

Thanks

Clive Carmock
cca@dcs.exeter.ac.uk

news@cl.cam.ac.uk (The news facility) (05/11/91)

From: nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren)

ARM3s run fine in R140s since about RISCiX 1.14 or so.  The code in 1.2 that
we have in the lab here seems to work better as I think it is more careful
about when it flushes the cache.  However, the performence improvment on an
R140 is not as dramatic as under RISC OS, things tend to run about 70-100%
faster instead of the usual 200-300%.  Tests I have done seem to indicate
that adding another 4MB of RAM makes at least as much difference as an ARM3 if
you are running the X server software as the working set gets very large.
An ARM3 and 8MB together have almost additive gain in performance.  The other
problem with the R140 that has been fixed on the R260 is the disk speed.  The
st506 disk is far too slow for a swap device, especially since it does not
have DMA so the processor is tied up all the time the memory is being paged.
I think (I have not tried it) that the performance will improve you get rid of
the st506 drive and put if a SCSI one.  Giving it an ARM3, 8MB RAM and a SCSI
disk will make it go quite well, but then again you then almost have an R260.

On the subject of whos SCSI card you can use, I expect that you can only use
the ones from Acorn unless you have the kernel source.  If it is anything like
the ethernet code there is little or no modularity in it, and certainly no way
to add support for new hardware without a recompile.

Nicko

| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |

rknight@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk (Roger Knight (B21)) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May11.102642.20136@cl.cam.ac.uk> nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) writes:

>I think (I have not tried it) that the performance will improve you get rid of
>the st506 drive and put if a SCSI one.  Giving it an ARM3, 8MB RAM and a SCSI
>disk will make it go quite well, but then again you then almost have an R260.

I bought an Acorn SCSI card for my R140 when they first came out and added
a Seagate St1096 as the boot device for RISCix. However my tests showed the
SCSI disc was exactly the same speed as the internal ST506 so I repartitioned
it without a swap partition and booted it from the internal disc again!

Does anyone out there know about the "new" version of RISCix (with MOTIF-X) for
the R140? Surely it must be ready for release by now? I phoned Granada about it
before Easter and they said it wasn't covered by my software maintenance and I
would have to buy it (even if I didn't want their external disc 'cos I've
already got one). Since then its gone very quiet.

Roger Knight             rknight@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (05/21/91)

On the subject of upgrading RiscIx.  Well not exactly.  There was an Acorn
Demo here about a week or so ago - they said that the A540 would be
upgradable to an R260 - for about #900-#1600 - this includes a 100MB hard drive
which it is loaded on.

Dave

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -
------------------------------------------- importance                        -

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (05/22/91)

In article <gilbertd.674811545@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:
:On the subject of upgrading RiscIx.  Well not exactly.  There was an Acorn
:Demo here about a week or so ago - they said that the A540 would be
:upgradable to an R260 - for about #900-#1600 - this includes a 100MB hard drive
:which it is loaded on.

Oh no, not again. WHAT ABOUT JUST THE SOFTWARE, ACORN???????

Pretty please?

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (05/23/91)

>Oh no, not again. WHAT ABOUT JUST THE SOFTWARE, ACORN???????

I would agree - but you said Oh no, not again - is that just a reference
to Acorns frequently strange systems or have they distributed software
like that before? Any way I was told there are people doing Mach for the Arc,
so where are you and when will it be available.

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (05/23/91)

In article <10434@castle.ed.ac.uk> gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) writes:
>In article <gilbertd.674811545@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:
>:On the subject of upgrading RiscIx.  Well not exactly.  There was an Acorn
>:Demo here about a week or so ago - they said that the A540 would be
>:upgradable to an R260 - for about #900-#1600 - this includes a 100MB hard drive
>:which it is loaded on.
>
>Oh no, not again. WHAT ABOUT JUST THE SOFTWARE, ACORN???????

As I recall the reasone Acorn can not sell just the software is that the
Licence they have on the original sources stops them from doing so.  I think
that selling a preloaded disc is a very good compromise (if not what AT&T had
in mind when they wrote the contract).  Furthermore you get a free Connor 100MB
drive into the deal ;-)

Nicko
| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |

cca@dcs.exeter.ac.uk (Clive Carmock) (05/23/91)

So upgrades to RISC iX on the R140 ARE going to continue then?
I must say I thought that when the R200 series arrived that Acorn
would quietly ignore the R140's.

Surely though we don;t HAVE to buy a complete hard disk package
from Acorn to upgrade?  It's a bit hard on those of us that have
ALREADY bought the Acorn SCSI podule and an External hard drive.

Are newer R140's derivative of the A440 or 440/1?

Finally is RISC iX 1.13 the 'current' version for the R140 range?

Clive Carmock
cca@dcs.exeter.ac.uk

zzassgl@uts.mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) (05/23/91)

In article <gilbertd.674986961@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:
>like that before? Any way I was told there are people doing Mach for the Arc,
>so where are you and when will it be available.

There is a video available from OSF of a lecture given by the people
who ported Mach. Sorry I no longer have the order form so can't give
further details - call OSF for more info.
--
Geoff. Lane.                                  Janet: zzassgl@uk.ac.mcc.cms
UTS Sys Admin, Manchester Computing Centre, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9PL

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (05/24/91)

>in mind when they wrote the contract).  Furthermore you get a free Connor 100MB

Perhaps Nicko's idea of 'free' is different from mine?

dbell@acorn.co.uk (Dave Bell) (05/24/91)

In article <3411@izar.dcs.exeter.ac.uk> cca@dcs.exeter.ac.uk (Clive Carmock) writes:

>So upgrades to RISC iX on the R140 ARE going to continue then?
>I must say I thought that when the R200 series arrived that Acorn
>would quietly ignore the R140's.
>
>Surely though we don;t HAVE to buy a complete hard disk package
>from Acorn to upgrade?  It's a bit hard on those of us that have
>ALREADY bought the Acorn SCSI podule and an External hard drive.
>
>Are newer R140's derivative of the A440 or 440/1?
>
>Finally is RISC iX 1.13 the 'current' version for the R140 range?

Yes, upgrades for R140 machines based on RISC iX 1.2 are just becoming
available. They can be ordered from any Acorn RISC iX dealer, and will be
installed by Granada Microcare. Pricing starts from #349 for R140 owners
already registered for support from Granada and who have the disk space.
There are upgrade routes for A440/A540 owners and prices vary for both
A440/A540 and R140 depending upon whether additional disc space is
available. Granada can supply via the Dealer order any additional hard disk
and SCSI card needed. RISC iX 1.2 does use much more disc space than 1.13.

If you wish to find out more, please contact an Acorn RISC iX dealer or
Microcare on (0234) 226866 in the UK or via email support@mcare.uucp.

An R140 as a hardware platform is equivalent to a 440/1 platform, but can be
derived from either a 440 or a 440/1.

RISC iX 1.13 remains the standard R140 version. There are minor patches or
workarounds beyond this that may be relevant to a few users. Please contact
Microcare for advice if you are registered for support or wish to be.

Hope this helps.

David Bell, Support Group Manager

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (05/25/91)

In article <gilbertd.674986961@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:
>>Oh no, not again. WHAT ABOUT JUST THE SOFTWARE, ACORN???????
>
>I would agree - but you said Oh no, not again - is that just a reference
>to Acorns frequently strange systems or have they distributed software
>like that before? Any way I was told there are people doing Mach for the Arc,
>so where are you and when will it be available.

It was partly just a comment on Acorn's really strange marketing strategies
in general, and partly a comment on bundling hardware and software by the
industry at large.  You try getting software to back up your standard
SCSI winchester to standard SCSI tape drive without being sold the
tape drive along with it.  Since hardware for the PC world is half the
price of the equivalent for Acorn kit (for example I bought my 330Mb
winchester at 900 pounds including vat) it's *incredibly* frustrating
when you can't use it! :-)