[comp.sys.acorn] Zork! - a classic

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (05/22/91)

the 'cdungeon' game posted recently on comp.misc.games -- better known as
'zork' -- compiles beautifully on the Archimedes.  If you have a C
compiler, get the sources from news (they should still be around); if
you don't I'll be posting an ansilib-linked version to albert soon.

The makefile needed minimal changes to get it working under amu - if
you can't work them out yourself you shouldn't be trusted with a
C compiler anyway ;-) ... seriously, if anyone has problems I'd be
willing to kermit up the makefile for posting.

Great game.  Wasted many hours on it in my childhood.

Graham

alm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Alexander L McLintock) (05/23/91)

G Toal wrote about Zork!
I say:

Isn't Zork! copyright Infocomm?
or has cdungeon got nothing to do with Zork!
Alex MC

--

aighb@castle.ed.ac.uk (Geoffrey Ballinger) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.122958.12672@doc.ic.ac.uk> alm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Alexander L McLintock) writes:
-Isn't Zork! copyright Infocomm?
-or has cdungeon got nothing to do with Zork!
-Alex MC

	The Dungeon game is the PD program from which Zork was created.
It is essentially a compacted version of Zorks 1 and 2. The game was
originally written (by the people who went on to form infocom) in Muddle
and since has been ported into Fortran and now to C,

						Geoff.

--
 Geoff Ballinger,                           EMAIL: Geoff@Ed.Ac.Uk
 Department of Artificial Intelligence,

fl@tools.uucp (Frank Lancaster) (05/24/91)

alm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Alexander L McLintock) writes:
> Isn't Zork! copyright Infocomm?
> or has cdungeon got nothing to do with Zork!

Infocom was founded by the main programmers of Zork. But alas Infocom
has gone down the drain, and I don't even know why!

Anyway, I've written an interpreter for infocom adventures for the Archimedes.
If you have the adventure data files on your IBM/Apple II or Atari ST,
you just have to transfer them to the Archimedes and can play.

Maybe I'll post the interpreter (know as ZIP, the Z-Code Interpreter) to
comp.binaries.acorn.

Frank Lancaster

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (05/26/91)

Some folklore; might interest you:

In article <10503@castle.ed.ac.uk> gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) writes:
 > 'Dungeon' is the original -- all us old grey bearded Adventurers
 > automatically think 'dungeon' when other people say 'zork' -- the
 > Infocom game is based on dungeon; I think they used some of the
 > dungeon code at first; they might even share some of The Implementors.
They did share all of The Implementors.  Dungeon is indeed the original,
it was once put on a DECUS (DEC Users Group) tape.  As the INFO command says:
	Translated from MDL to Fortran by a paranoied DEC programmer.
(this is from some 10 year old memories.)
The PDP-11 RSX-11 version was patched to run on Unix V7, and this version
ran on BSD Unix on the VAX in PDP-11 compatibility mode.  At that time
it was called Zork; because the original MDL version was called Zork.
Later a new (native) implementation was implemented on BSD with the
name Dungeon.  I believe the name change was because of some copyrights
involved with Zork (at that time Infocom was just started by The Implementors).
Zork 1 and 2 are together an expansion of Dungeon.  Zork 3 is an expanded
version of the endgame of Dungeon.

Now I do not remember whether the lastly posted sources did include the
Puzzle Room or not.  (Too short ago probably.)  If not, it is based on the
original DECUS tape.  If the Puzzle Room is present it is based on the last
DECUS distribution.

Now I think that in order to not infring on copyright it is better to
rename Zork back to Dungeon again.

 > Anyone got a source for 'Advent' too?  (I used to but I lost it
 > one disk crash some time back)
Yup, I have.  Three versions for the 350 point source, one for a 365
point source, one for a 501 point source, one for a 550 point source
and two for a 551 point source.  Plus some additional odds and ends.
I am trying to put all those things together, but do not hold your breath.
I can mail you a 350 point source (not the original; I lost that!, but close
to).  That is in Fortran for VMS.  I can mail you another in C (and not the
BSD source because copyright is not clear).  So tell me what you want.

 > Classics ...
Ah yes, Classics.  Could give also some tales about Adventure :-).
dik@cwi.nl