[comp.sys.acorn] Application Notes

zzassgl@uts.mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) (05/23/91)

Concerning the note about writing ARM machine code:
Could we see more of these posted?  I believe there are some on the
the loader and other aspects of the Arc.
--
Geoff. Lane.                                  Janet: zzassgl@uk.ac.mcc.cms
UTS Sys Admin, Manchester Computing Centre, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9PL

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (05/23/91)

In <2843@mccuts.uts.mcc.ac.uk> zzassgl@uts.mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) writes:

>Concerning the note about writing ARM machine code:
>Could we see more of these posted?  I believe there are some on the
>the loader and other aspects of the Arc.

There used to be loads of application notes for the Beeb - and from what I
was told there are for the Arc - but customer services have becoome less
friendly since we got the Beeb 8-9 years ago.

Why not make all the application notes available for anonymous ftp.  It
cant do Acorn any harm to give people information - it can only lead to
better software being available.

Dave

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -
------------------------------------------- importance                        -

spayne@acorn.co.uk (Stuart Payne) (05/28/91)

In article <gilbertd.674987144@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:

>In <2843@mccuts.uts.mcc.ac.uk> zzassgl@uts.mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) writes:
>

>>Concerning the note about writing ARM machine code:
>>Could we see more of these posted?  I believe there are some on the
>>the loader and other aspects of the Arc.

Please remember that the application note was posted by Alasdair at ARM
Limited.

>There used to be loads of application notes for the Beeb - and from what I
>was told there are for the Arc - but customer services have become less
>friendly since we got the Beeb 8-9 years ago.

The Beeb application notes largely filled tempory gaps in documentation
that were addressed by the Advanced User Guide, and subsequently the Master
Reference Manuals.

Any application notes that Acorn has are available from SID. A large number
are available on good old paper if you write to or phone customer service,
and we always make a point of detailing these as they become available in
our Customer Services Hotline column in BAU.

SID used to have an E-Mail link but unfortunately it clocked up some really
incredable bills, mailing its entire contents to Germany, Holland and
Scandinavia just as often as net bandwidth would allow. The powers that be
therefore decided to curtail its EMailing activities entirely. This is a
pity as I believe if we had restricted it to the UK there would not have
been this (Acorn) percieved problem. Please don't take my ramblings on this
as gospel, Alan can tell you more.

Oh no not a call for votes on comp.sys.acorn.docs?

>Why not make all the application notes available for anonymous ftp.  It
>cant do Acorn any harm to give people information - it can only lead to
>better software being available.

I agree.

>Dave

Now that wasn't too unfriendly was it?

-Stuart

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (05/29/91)

:
:SID used to have an E-Mail link but unfortunately it clocked up some really
:incredable bills, mailing its entire contents to Germany, Holland and
:Scandinavia just as often as net bandwidth would allow. The powers that be
:therefore decided to curtail its EMailing activities entirely. This is a
:pity as I believe if we had restricted it to the UK there would not have
:been this (Acorn) percieved problem. Please don't take my ramblings on this
:as gospel, Alan can tell you more.

Well, if you were to upload all the interesting stuff to apple.com's
acorn archive, all the users in the above countries could fetch them
directly with considerably less fuss than using sid's mailserver anyway.

Also, for as long as Albert and Newcastle are willing, you could leave
most of the docs on newcastle for UK academic users.

Graham