[comp.sys.acorn] anybody ported GNU Emacs?

mmj@.vlsi.auc.dk (Mads Meisner-Jensen) (06/03/91)

Has anybody ported GNU Emacs to the archimedes?
I know of the port made by David Pilling, but I have heard
that this isn't very good and it doesn't run in the
desktop neither.
Please mail to the address below. The one in the header is wrong
as our sysadmin. can't figure out the configuration file for sendmail.

Mads
e-mail: mmj@vlsi-gw.vlsi.auc.dk

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (06/04/91)

In article <906@vaxc.aud.auc.dk> mmj@.vlsi.auc.dk (Mads Meisner-Jensen) writes:
:Has anybody ported GNU Emacs to the archimedes?
:I know of the port made by David Pilling, but I have heard
:that this isn't very good and it doesn't run in the
:desktop neither.

Pilling's is in fact MICRO emacs, not Gnu Emacs, though this is often
hard to tell from his adverts.

I looked at Gnu emacs a couple of years back but was put off by the
degree of unixisms it needed -- just about everything talks via
processes if I remember right.  But that was pre-riscos days; maybe
you could use one of the UnixLibs to mount it nowadays?  Maybe you
could even write a socket library using the Wimp.

Graham

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (06/04/91)

In article <906@vaxc.aud.auc.dk> mmj@.vlsi.auc.dk (Mads Meisner-Jensen) writes:
>Has anybody ported GNU Emacs to the archimedes?
>I know of the port made by David Pilling, but I have heard
>that this isn't very good and it doesn't run in the
>desktop neither.

I have had a look at GNU Emacs (the Pillingthing was MicroEMACS) and it is
so full of UNIXisums that I gave up.  If there is great demand I will have
another look but I think it will be many months work unless someone writes
a UNiX lib for RISC OS that does pipes, fork and a few other UNIX nasties.

Nicko
| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |

Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) (06/04/91)

Yes, how about adding forks, pipes, and sockets too!

Surely with the sophistication of RISC-OS, it should
not be too dificult?  Possibly as part of the "new"
RISC-OS and associated new release of "C".

This would help students like myself who use UNIX
at university, but can't afford UNIX at home - yet.

I sometimes edit "C" source files at home, and
transfer them to and from a UNIX box (which can
read/write MS-DOS format discs).  It would be nice
if I could compile, and possibly run some of them
at home.  I have heard of a UNIX lib for the Arc,
but don't know if this would help.

-Regards,
         Gavin.

--
The main "user" of well brought up, and educated, children is the community
at large.  So if you really believe in "user pays", charge the correct users

marksv%t3b@uk.ac.man.cs (marksv) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun4.004249.14376@cl.cam.ac.uk> nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) writes:
>In article <906@vaxc.aud.auc.dk> mmj@.vlsi.auc.dk (Mads Meisner-Jensen) writes:

>>Has anybody ported GNU Emacs to the archimedes?

>I have had a look at GNU Emacs (the Pillingthing was MicroEMACS) and it is
>so full of UNIXisums that I gave up.  If there is great demand I will have
>another look but I think it will be many months work unless someone writes
>a UNiX lib for RISC OS that does pipes, fork and a few other UNIX nasties.
>
>Nicko

	You did distribute a few copies of GNU Emacs, as I understand it.
However they required rather a lot of memory :-) Huw Rogers
(rogersh@uk.ac.man.cs.p4) has written UNIXlib for RISCOS. It handles vfork &
exec so pipes should be possible. It's in testing at the moment - should be
released when any bugs have been fixed.

Vaughan
Vaughan Marks     email: marksv@uk.ac.man.cs.p4
Secretary SSCC    uucp:  ...!uunet!cunyvm.cuny.edu!cs.man.ac.uk!p4!marksv
Std Disclaimer    RTFM ;-)

rcpieter@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (06/05/91)

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) writes:

>If there is great demand I will have
>another look but I think it will be many months work unless someone writes
>a UNiX lib for RISC OS that does pipes, fork and a few other UNIX nasties.

GNU Emacs is a great editor, even with all the process stuff cut out.
Without process stuff, there won't be much that can't be easily faked.

Tiggr

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (06/05/91)

In article <2618@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> marksv%t3b@uk.ac.man.cs (marksv) writes:
>	You did distribute a few copies of GNU Emacs, as I understand it.
Well fancy that!  I never even noticed.  I thought I was sending out copies of
MicroEMACS with a windowed RISC OS front end.

>                                                 Huw Rogers
>(rogersh@uk.ac.man.cs.p4) has written UNIXlib for RISCOS. It handles vfork &
>exec so pipes should be possible. It's in testing at the moment - should be
>released when any bugs have been fixed.

Well if it handles a POSIX compliant set of UNIX library calls ;-) then I will
have another look!