[comp.sys.acorn] acorn fortune file encryption

pete@ohm.york.ac.uk (-Pete French.) (05/28/91)

Does anyone know the format of the encryption of the fortune file
on the acorn UNIX RISC machines ? I am trying to get the fortune file
off the acorn working on the MIPS/SUN systems here (since it is far better).

-bat.
--
-Pete French. (the -bat. )         /  "Two wrongs don't make a right,
Adaptive Systems Engineering      /    - but three lefts do !"

"Look here, a Brit who has obviously been driving in California!"

john@acorn.co.uk (John Bowler) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May28.141547.19867@ohm.york.ac.uk> pete@ohm.york.ac.uk (-Pete French.) writes:
>Does anyone know the format of the encryption of the fortune file
>on the acorn UNIX RISC machines ?

It's not encrypted; it is the standard BSD fortune file format (as
defined by the files strfile.h and strfile.c in the 4.3 distribution).
If you use the strings command you will see the fortunes (but without
clear delimination - all you need to know for that is that the strings
are NUL terminated).

>                                  I am trying to get the fortune file
>off the acorn working on the MIPS/SUN systems here (since it is far better).

All we did was supplement the BSD distribution with the fortunes which
have been posted on UseNet (alt.sources?) recently.  The file should be
understood by any BSD 4.3 fortune program running on a little-endian
architecture.  You could probably convert it to a big-endian architecture
by intelligent application of byte swapping (you need the strfile.h
header file of course - copyright you-know-who).

John Bowler (jbowler@acorn.co.uk)

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (06/04/91)

In article <7382@acorn.co.uk> john@acorn.co.uk (John Bowler) writes:
>You could probably convert it to a big-endian architecture
>by intelligent application of byte swapping (you need the strfile.h
>header file of course - copyright you-know-who).

The BSD 4.3 fortune package, including strfile, was posted to
comp.sources.games a long time ago (volume 3?).  It can be found at
most major archives (although it was corrupted at uunet last time I
checked).
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

pete@ohm.york.ac.uk (-Pete French.) (06/05/91)

in article <JGREELY.91Jun3142306@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu>, jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) says:

> In article <7382@acorn.co.uk> john@acorn.co.uk (John Bowler) writes:
>>You could probably convert it to a big-endian architecture
>>by intelligent application of byte swapping (you need the strfile.h
>>header file of course - copyright you-know-who).
>
> The BSD 4.3 fortune package, including strfile, was posted to
> comp.sources.games a long time ago (volume 3?).  It can be found at
> most major archives (although it was corrupted at uunet last time I
> checked).

Well, despite all the intelligent responses (thanks ppl - especially you lot
at acorn) the answer still eludes me. There is _NO_ ascii text in the file.
It bears a remarkable similarity to a file that someone has edited with vi
and then exited with a capital X by mistake and a null password (this happens
a lot round here - dont know why, and we havent found a way of recovering
the files yet !).

I give up.

-bat.