[comp.sys.acorn] Archimedes RUCP.

patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) (06/02/91)

Is there anyone else out there using RUCP 0.11 on the Archimedes?

Sideways (running ms-dos Waffle software) provides a feed to Bridge which
is an Archimedes running RUCP 0.11.

The problem: mail originating from Bridge has, after each header item,
spaces up to the next TAB marker.

The official standard RFC822 says that there may only be one "space"
(section 342 of RFC822) after each header item.  A "space" is defined
to be ONE SPACE character ie. char(32).

The problem is that the software at this end is turning the To: header
from...
        To:        patrick@sideways.gen.nz
to...
        To: @sideways.gen.nz, patrick@sideways.gen.nz

Personally I think the Waffle software should be a little more intelligent,
but it is really the Archimedes software at fault because it is not sticking
to the standards layed down years ago.

So... does anyone know who wrote RUCP or know whether it can be
reconfigured to only use one space character?

* example message being sent by Bridge _before_ being processed by Waffle
From julian Mon, 03 Jun 1991 01:33:28 Y remote from bridge
Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 1991 01:33:23 Y
From:      julian@bridge.welly.gen.nz (Julian Wright)
To:        patrick@sideways.gen.nz
Subject:   Re: hi

<msg>

--
"I'm sig of sicknatures!"

    Cheers, Julian.

* example message being sent by Bridge _after_ being processed by Waffle
From bridge!julian Mon, 03 Jun 1991 01:33:28 Y remote from sideways
Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 1991 01:33:23 Y
From:      julian@bridge.welly.gen.nz (Julian Wright)
To: @sideways.gen.nz, patrick@sideways.gen.nz

<msg>
--
"I'm sig of sicknatures!"

Pat Cain, PO Box 2060, Wellington, New Zealand.
(patrick@sideways.welly.gen.nz)

kelvin@thed (Kelvin Hill) (06/03/91)

I have used the RUCP 0.11 distribution to a Unix systemm with no problems.
I've also used Waffle 1.64 to the same Unix node, again with no problems.
Don't know if this helps, but at least it might give some encouragement. :-)_

Kelvin.

--
Kelvin J. Hill - BULL HN Information System Ltd, Hounslow, England, UK.
Internet - kelvin@kelvin.uk22.bull.com  | UUCP - kelvin@compulink.co.uk

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Wright) (06/04/91)

In article <kelvin.675956677@thed>, kelvin@thed (Kelvin Hill) writes:
|> Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn
|> Subject: Re: Archimedes RUCP.
|> From: kelvin@thed (Kelvin Hill)
|> Date: 3 Jun 91 13:44:37 GMT
|> Sender: @mips2.ma30.bull.com
          ^^^^^^^^ ????!!!!

|> I have used the RUCP 0.11 distribution to a Unix systemm with no problems.
|> I've also used Waffle 1.64 to the same Unix node, again with no problems.

Check your Sender: field - there is a manifestation of the bug here too!

It is most likely that some mailers WILL handle multiple spaces between
field names and their parameters in the header, so it is not surprising that
RUCP<->Unix UUCP works fine. But I'll bet the Unix UUCP end doesn't tabulate
it's header fields... that's why Waffle will work with it as well.

I have 'fixed' my copy of mail by changing two format strings in the
executable at about address &B400 (unsqueezed (manually) of course!)
from "%-10s %s" to "%s %s" and terminating with \0 as usual. Now mail
no longer tabulates the header and I have no problems. But I would rather
it was Waffle that was fixed... a tabulated header looks so much neater...

    Cheers, Julian.
--
;`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````;
; I would if I could but I can't so I won't but I might if I find I can later ;

patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) (06/04/91)

patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) writes:

> Is there anyone else out there using RUCP 0.11 on the Archimedes?
> [..]

Thanks to everyone who wrote.  Julian has managed to solve the problem
by directly editing the binary of the MAIL program and changing the
"%-10s %s" to "%s %s".

The author of RUCP, Andreas Raab, e-mailed me.  He's going to fix it
for the next release of RUCP ...
# Well, I fear not. It is hard coded in rmail, but easy to fix. I have
# little time for that now, but perhaps there is a way to wor around the
# somewhat fussy waffle software.

I have e-mailed the author of Waffle software, and hopefully he'll fix
Waffle too.

--

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/04/91)

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Wright) writes:
>                                                              Now mail
> no longer tabulates the header and I have no problems. But I would rather
> it was Waffle that was fixed... a tabulated header looks so much neater...

It's not just a matter of fixing Waffle. You'll have to persuade C News to
accept funny headers as well for news items. At the moment, I believe it'll
just delete any news articles sent from RUCP if they have strange tabulated
headers.

Of course, it's quite possible that there are people reading this using RUCP
to connect to a UNIX box and post news, and not getting any error reports. You
won't, because C News doesn't bother to report the error. It just deletes the
article silently.

I'd have to check this, but I suspect that everyone using RUCP might be
having their news postings (including those sent by many mail gateways)
silently lost by C News. If so, then it's pretty important to fix RUCP
quickly!

Incidentally, if you think the silent deletion is a bad idea, you might like
to take a look at the newsgroup news.software.b.

mathew

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Wright) (06/05/91)

In article <VNN1311w164w@mantis.co.uk>, mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C
News a *HUG*) writes:
|> Of course, it's quite possible that there are people reading this
|> using
|> RUCP to connect to a UNIX box and post news, and not getting any
|> error reports. You won't, because C News doesn't bother to report
|> the
|> error. It just deletes the article silently.

Well that would be a real problem if it were possible to post articles
with RUCP. But RUCP 0.11 only allows you to _collect_ news for reading,
not post anything. Only EMail can be both sent and received.

    Cheers, Julian.
--
;`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````;

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/05/91)

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Wright) writes:
> In article <VNN1311w164w@mantis.co.uk>, mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C
> News a *HUG*) writes:
> > Of course, it's quite possible that there are people reading this using
> > RUCP to connect to a UNIX box and post news, and not getting any error
> > reports.  You won't, because C News doesn't bother to report the error. It
> > just deletes the article silently.
>
> Well that would be a real problem if it were possible to post articles
> with RUCP. But RUCP 0.11 only allows you to _collect_ news for reading,
> not post anything. Only EMail can be both sent and received.

If you can send Email you can post news, as I explained in the bit of the
article which you deleted.

mathew

Julian.Wright@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Julian Wright) (06/06/91)

In article <3Ro3321w164w@mantis.co.uk>, mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C
News a *HUG*) writes:
|> If you can send Email you can post news, as I explained in the
|> bit of the article which you deleted.

Yup, you're right. Up until now I have been fortunate enough to have
proper News and Email access at Uni, so had not heard of (or needed
to know about) email->news gateways.

    Cheers, Julian.
--