[comp.sys.acorn] Slow floppy drives

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (06/10/91)

In <953@mrcu> yc58@mrcu (MRC Library) writes:

>A mate of mine is trying to get a very old 5/quarter drive working on the
>Arc but he thinks it needs a much longer step time than 12 ms.  Is it possible
>to get the Arc to do this (say 24 ms) or is 12 ms the longest the controller
>allows?

I doubt that it is possible.  It sounds like the problem which used to occur
on the Master computers - they had the 1772 controller like the arc - and there
is the slowest step time of 12ms - I do seem to remember a version of the DFS
which was suppost to cure it - but I think the chances of finding such a piece
of software are remote.  I know about this problem because we tried to get our old
5.25" drives going with our master when we got it a few years ago - we ended
up buying faster drives!

Dave

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -