[comp.sys.acorn] RiscOS 3.0 - New infos...

flimm@thp.uni-koeln.de (Oliver Flimm) (05/31/91)

Hello,

RiscOs3 seems really to exist! When I visited my Archimedes Distributor some
weeks ago, he showed me a preview of this new version on his hard-disc
(about 1MB).

Some of the major new features are:

-Most of the applications (Draw, Paint, Edit, System) are kept in ROM.
 You simply get one more directory-icon on the iconbar.

-Everytime you access a filing-system (e.g. copy files, format discs etc),
 a window appears, which shows you what your Arch currently does. In the same
 time you can go on with whatever-you-want. In this way you now have 'real'
 multitasking

-There is a 'shutdown'-option, which closes all files and stops all processes,
 when exiting.

Due to the great amount of ROM-memory that is required by the new RiscOs3,
larger ROM's (more pins) are needed and therefore not every A310-user might
get it. As far as all A4xx-users are concerned I think they already have these
larger sockets.
(I personally also own a A310, but I got the larger sockets when upgrading my
 Arch with the 4MB-Upgrade from IFEL).

Perhaps somebody knows more about it.

Date of release: ????

Bye,   Oliver

Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) (06/01/91)

I have a *VERY* strong suspicion that the new RISC-OS
wil be officially released in October.

October should be interesting in other ways for Acorn stuff,
HINT if effort is not going into bringing the ARM3 up to spec,
*WHERE* is the effort going!!!! Not to mention what Acorn is
going to do with the MEMC2, etc...

Please someone from ACORN, give us some more info.

Regards,
        Gavin.

--
The main "user" of well brought up, and educated, children is the community
at large.  So if you really believe in "user pays", charge the correct users

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (06/03/91)

In <1991May31.232444.7970@comp.vuw.ac.nz> Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:

>I have a *VERY* strong suspicion that the new RISC-OS
>wil be officially released in October.

Well the story I was told about the relase of it was that we wont be able to
get our hands on it till the start of next year.  But I wouldnt be suprised
if Acorn announced it sooner - there always was a 6 Month wait for Acorn stuff.
A developer told me that Acorn have a system where it is released in house for
 3 Months and then to developers for 3.  The way we worked it out at the time
it made October look possible - a bit tight though.  All I can say is if the
 price range I was told (#80-#115) then Acorn must make sure it should be as
 near to bug free as possible (I dont expect 100% bug free - that isnt
practible - just close).

>October should be interesting in other ways for Acorn stuff,
>HINT if effort is not going into bringing the ARM3 up to spec,
>*WHERE* is the effort going!!!! Not to mention what Acorn is
>going to do with the MEMC2, etc...

Your right - October should be interesting - there is a show isnt there?  All
the rumours of Portable Arcs should come to something reasonable - it would
be pretty dumb for Acorn to release a portable with RiscOs 2 - but I wouldnt
put it past Acorn.

It would be nice to bring the Arm 3 upto spec. - but I think that is more
likely to wait for whatever chip they get out next.

**** Why don't Acorn keep the people who buy there machine informed of what
is going on?  Every body knows that they must be developing new software
and hardware - they would really be dumb not to.

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -
------------------------------------------- importance                        -

banksie@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) (06/04/91)

In article <gilbertd.675934960@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:
	[Stuff about release dates deleted. ]
>It would be nice to bring the Arm 3 upto spec. - but I think that is more
>likely to wait for whatever chip they get out next.

	  Well the rumors on the net indicate that this is very likely.

>**** Why don't Acorn keep the people who buy there machine informed of what
>is going on?  Every body knows that they must be developing new software
>and hardware - they would really be dumb not to.

	  I personally think it is a good stand. You do not get any vaporware
	from Acorn. Only products that work and are here now.

	Philip Banks

*------------------------------------------------------------------*   @@@@@@/|
|    BANKSie! (aka Philip Banks)  BANKSIE@rata.vuw.ac.nz           |   @@@@@/#|
|       An Arc owner stuck in an almost non Arc spot.              |   @@@@/##|
|Thus Quoth the Raven `Nevermore!'.And my spirits sank to the floor|   @@@/---|
*------------------------------------------------------------------*   @@/    |
--
*------------------------------------------------------------------*   @@@@@@/|

snb90@uk.ac.soton.ecs (Stewart Brodie) (06/11/91)

In <1991Jun4.063011.19340@rata.vuw.ac.nz> banksie@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) writes:

>In article <gilbertd.675934960@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) writes:
>	[Stuff about release dates deleted. ]
>>It would be nice to bring the Arm 3 upto spec. - but I think that is more
>>likely to wait for whatever chip they get out next.
>>
>	  Well the rumors on the net indicate that this is very likely.
>>
>>**** Why don't Acorn keep the people who buy there machine informed of what
>>is going on?  Every body knows that they must be developing new software
>>and hardware - they would really be dumb not to.

>	  I personally think it is a good stand. You do not get any vaporware
>	from Acorn. Only products that work and are here now.

>	Philip Banks

  We only want to know what is going on. It is not a question of getting
products out of Acorn that haven't been tested.

  If Acorn told us what they were programming, then they could obtain
useful comments about possible enhancements and omissions in their new
software from the readers of this group.  The end product would
therefore be liked by many more people.

Stewart Brodie
University of Southampton