[comp.sys.acorn] r260 networking

grun@kopasker.is (Gardar Runolfsson) (06/10/91)

Hi all,

We just got our first R260 and it seems to be quite a
good machine.

So far we have only run RISC-OS applications and want
to start experimenting with the UNIX part.

We want to hook it up as a UNIX server for Ethernet and
Econet.  We have 2x 440 and quite a few a3000 plus Beebs
all on econet and 3x Acorn file servers.

1.  Do we have to run TCP/IP on the EcoNet or can a beeb
    access files on the R260 through standard Econet
    protocols.
2.  Can the R260 act as a gateway and a file server or
    do we have to run a seperate gateway.
3.  Can one have terminal access to the R260 through the
    Econet.

Any help and info would be appreciated.

Gardar Runolfson
grun@kopasker.is

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (06/11/91)

In article <259@kopasker.is> grun@kopasker.is (Gardar Runolfsson) writes:
>We want to hook it up as a UNIX server for Ethernet and
>Econet.  We have 2x 440 and quite a few a3000 plus Beebs
>all on econet and 3x Acorn file servers.
>
>1.  Do we have to run TCP/IP on the EcoNet or can a beeb
>    access files on the R260 through standard Econet
>    protocols.
As far as I know you can not run the standard econet protocols on the R260
when it is running UNIX.  I don't think there is TCP/IP code for the beeb
either.
>2.  Can the R260 act as a gateway and a file server or
>    do we have to run a seperate gateway.
If you run TCP/IP on the R260 and it has both econet and ethernet hardware in
it will by default try to route between them and act as a bridge.  You can run
NFS at the same time without trouble.
>3.  Can one have terminal access to the R260 through the
>    Econet.
You can run full fledged TCP/IP over the econet including telnet, ftp, NFS
and all the others.  I have not seen any TCP/IP code for the beeb but you can
run these on a3000s and other RISC OS archies.

I hope that's useful.

Nicko.

| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |

AWilliams@melbourne.uucp (Alan Williams) (06/12/91)

In article <259@kopasker.is> grun@kopasker.is (Gardar Runolfsson) writes:

>[ Site discription, r260 praise deleted ]
>
>We want to hook it up as a UNIX server for Ethernet and
>Econet.  We have 2x 440 and quite a few a3000 plus Beebs
>all on econet and 3x Acorn file servers.
>
>1.  Do we have to run TCP/IP on the EcoNet or can a beeb
>    access files on the R260 through standard Econet
>    protocols.

It is not possible for a Model B to access the files on a R260 directly.  The way
to do this is to use NFS and Ethernet to connect together a A440 and your R260.

You can then use NFS to make part of the R260 file system appear as a filing
system on the A440.  Now to make this accessible to the Econet you need to run
an Econet fileserver on the A400 too.  Level 4 or !awServer would do this nicely
for you.  There is currently no server that runs on RISC iX and serves NetFS
protocols on Econet.

If you did not have Ethernet on your A440 you could put the NFS mount to the
R260 over Econet but the performance the Model B would see would be low.

Note that with a set up like this  the server in the middle (L4 or !awServer) is
responsible for the pasword file the econet clients see, NOT the unix machine.

The A3000 could access the R260 this way or they could use !Internet and
!NfsFiler to file directly to the R260.  You will need 2M to do this if you want
more than 100K left when you have loaded this stuff from somewhere, disc
econet etc. (Oh no not a boot disc)   TCP/IP and NFS is no where near as user
friendly as NetFS is.

Your A440 machines could have either Ethernet or Econet, but there is currently
no Ethernet interface availible for the A3000..

>2.  Can the R260 act as a gateway and a file server or
>    do we have to run a seperate gateway.

Gateway?  Between what and what?
Any Acorn machine with Econet and Ethernet can act as a gateway for
INTERNET protocols.  That is to say an R140 on Econet can talk to a Sun on
Ethernet if there is another Acorn (RISC OS/RISC iX) with both Eco and Ether
interfaces between the two.

>3.  Can one have terminal access to the R260 through the
>    Econet.

Archimedes can run !Internet and !VT220 to have terminal sessions running on
the RISC iX machine where either Ethernet or Econet is availible.  You will
need at least 2M for this.

A Product exists called Ecoterm.  You run this on your RISC iX machine
(Which must have Econet) and you can then use your Model B, M.128 and
M.Compacts as terminals to unix.  (*I AM xxx.yyy guest etc presents a
fileserver interface and causes you to (OPT4,2 like) to RUN !BOOT which is a
terminal emulator running a protocol over Econet back to the host).

An X terminal package for Archimedes exists it enables you to have remote
access to the X window system which runs on the the RISC iX machine (or any
other machine running X clients).  This does not let you manage X windows on
the RISC OS desktop however, it has a toggle screen facility to move between
the two environments.

If the A440s were fitted with Ethernet then it is probable that,  with the discless
distribution stuff added to your R260, you could run your A440s as  discless
workstations too.

Just for interests sake I will also mention that have a written a RISC iX pipe end
which feeds to an Econet printer server.
For example 'cat /etc/passwd | netprint 0.235' would do the trick.

>Any help and info would be appreciated.

I hope I have managed to answer your questions to some extent.

>Gardar Runolfson

Where to get all these things.

TCP/IP Protocol suite	Acorn  AES32
Level 4 Fileserver	Acorn  AES38
Ethernet I card	Acorn  AKA25
Ecoterm	Cambridge Systems Design (CSD@Acorn.co.uk)
!X	Gnome  (@cl.cam.ac.uk:jacs@gnome.uucp)
!awServer	Me (Awilliams@Acorn.co.uk)
	(Melbourne Australia actually)

If anybody else is interested in a P.D. Econet server for RISC OS I might have
look at some form of distribution outside Australia.

*BYE for now
Alan Williams

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of Acorn.