[comp.sys.acorn] 4Mb upgrades for A310

sal1@ukc.ac.uk (S.A.Lockhart) (06/07/91)

Having had an A310 for a while now, I have decided that 1Mb is not enough
for me, and would like to upgrade to 4Mb. Having looked through the latest
edition of Acorn User, I notice that there are quite a few options, and
would like to know of any experiences people have had with any of the
options listed below, especially in respect to DIY fitting.

Supplier		DIY?		Price (UK Pounds)
Atomwide		N		299 + VAT
Ground Control		Y		260 (Introductory Offer)
Watford Electronics	Y		425 + VAT
IFEL			Y		298 + VAT

If you know of any other suppliers (in the UK), I would be interested to
hear about them. As I am a poor student, I would be looking for a cheap, but
reliable upgrade.

Thanks
--
Simon Lockhart, Rutherford College, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK

torq@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (06/08/91)

In article <4561@merlin.ukc.ac.uk> sal1@ukc.ac.uk (S.A.Lockhart) writes:

>Supplier		DIY?		Price (UK Pounds)
>Atomwide		N		299 + VAT
>Ground Control		Y		260 (Introductory Offer)
>Watford Electronics	Y		425 + VAT
>IFEL			Y		298 + VAT

Simtec do a 4meg upgrade too. look on the penultimate page of the June
Acorn User, their upgrade is 170 quid exc VAT, and is pretty easy to fit.

Perhaps Im biased as I know the owner of the company, but he does know what
hes doing. Well worth looking them up.

Andy

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (06/08/91)

In article <4561@merlin.ukc.ac.uk> sal1@ukc.ac.uk (S.A.Lockhart) writes:
>options listed below, especially in respect to DIY fitting.
>
>Supplier		DIY?		Price (UK Pounds)
>Atomwide		N		299 + VAT
>Ground Control		Y		260 (Introductory Offer)
>Watford Electronics	Y		425 + VAT
>IFEL			Y		298 + VAT

To be fair to Atomwide none of then should be user fitable according to Acorn,
it is just they are the only one who pay any attention.  As far as I recall all
of the above need to have one or more PLCC chip extracted and it is very easy
to break the machine while trying to do this.  According to Acorn this should
only be done by a component level service centre although there is nothing they
can do about it once the machine is out of guarantee.

Nicko.
| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |

torbenm@diku.dk (Torben [gidius Mogensen) (06/11/91)

torq@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk writes:

>Simtec do a 4meg upgrade too. look on the penultimate page of the June
>Acorn User, their upgrade is 170 quid exc VAT, and is pretty easy to fit.

>Perhaps Im biased as I know the owner of the company, but he does know what
>hes doing. Well worth looking them up.

>Andy

Does the RAM board support large OS ROMS (for the new non-existing OS :-)?

Torben Mogensen (torbenm@diku.dk)

marlow@sys.uea.ac.uk (K. Marlow PG) (06/12/91)

  On a different tack .. Does anybody know whats involved in changing the A310
wiring so that it can except the new, unexistant, large ROMs?  From what I read
earlier the sockets are the right size, it just the pins aren't wired up
properly/usefully.
  Thanks in advance.

       Keith Marlow.
--
------ 8< -- 8< -- 8< --  Cut here to remove .sig  -- >8 -- >8 -- >8 ------
  Keith Marlow, SYS P/G  University of East Anglia