[comp.sys.acorn] Apple

rcpieter@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (06/13/91)

Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:

>I must admit to find it curious to see a strategic link between Acorn
>and Apple, via ARM Ltd, when the Apple Mac and Archimedes are directly
>competing in the educational market.

Last week, in several Dutch newspapers, reports were given on a possible
liason between Apple and IBM: Apple using IBM's RISC technology (from the
RS/6000) and IBM using Apple's software.

I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
the first place?

Tiggr

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/13/91)

rcpieter@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:

>Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:

>I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
>reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
>the first place?

  Low cost, low power, portable machines is my guess.  You're not going
to get an RS/6000 in a 2 kg notebook anytime soon.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And in the death, as the last few corpses lay rotting in the slimy
 thoroughfare, the shutters lifted in inches, high on Poacher's Hill..."

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (06/13/91)

In <1981@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> rcpieter@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:

>Last week, in several Dutch newspapers, reports were given on a possible
>liason between Apple and IBM: Apple using IBM's RISC technology (from the
>RS/6000) and IBM using Apple's software.

>I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
>reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
>the first place?

You have forgotten that the ARM chip uses very little in the way of power
and space - especialy the static versions they are developing.
As far as I remember of a review of the IBM RS/6000 the CPU board consisted
of about 3 or 4 custom chips which were large and had very large heat sinks
on - not exactly ideal for a portable - but at least they would be in line
with apples previous portables - LARGE :-).

Dave

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -
------------------------------------------- importance                        -

gtoal@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (06/14/91)

In article <1981@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> rcpieter@info.win.tue.nl writes:
:I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
:reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
:the first place?
:
:Tiggr

1) To provide leverage with Motorola or IBM, whichever it turned out to be.

2) To scupper Acorn who used to be a top-class hardware design company and
are now a second-rate software company. (Nothing personal, guys).  It's
called 'asset-stripping'...

Followups to alt.conspiracy :-)

t891368@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au (Mark) (06/17/91)

>>Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:
>>I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
>>reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
>>the first place?

I heard rumours that Apple was purchasing ARM chips like they were going out
of style. It was thought at the time they were going to produce either a
motherboard of some sort utilising the ARM's or a card to go into a Mac.

They might be looking at something like Olivetti was: including the chip
inside a laser printer.

Mark
mark@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au

Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) (06/18/91)

|>?? >>I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
|>?? >>reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with
ARM Ltd in
|>?? >>the first place?
...........bits ommitted.....
|> Mark
|> mark@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au
bject: Re: Apple (was Re: Future Acorn products)
**************====> I never wrote the bits marked with "??"
<====****************

The closest I came, was to say I was curious as to why Acorn and Apple
got together to form ARM Ltd!  I wish people would be more carful how
they quote things.  I did not comment the first time this happened,
because I did not want to seem picky, BUT this 'endless' missquoting of
me is a bit too much.

-Gavin.

--
The main "user" of well brought up, and educated, children is the community
at large.  So if you really believe in "user pays", charge the correct users

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.015452.15928@comp.vuw.ac.nz> gavin@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:

>|>?? >>I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
>|>?? >>reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with
>ARM Ltd in
>|>?? >>the first place?
>...........bits ommitted.....
>|> Mark
>|> mark@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au
>bject: Re: Apple (was Re: Future Acorn products)
>**************====> I never wrote the bits marked with "??"
><====****************
>
>The closest I came, was to say I was curious as to why Acorn and Apple
>got together to form ARM Ltd!  I wish people would be more carful how
>they quote things.  I did not comment the first time this happened,
>because I did not want to seem picky, BUT this 'endless' missquoting of
>me is a bit too much.
>
>-Gavin.

I think you will find that noone ever said that you did.  Tiggr said it and
then he got quoted quoting you and then putting his comments on the end,
except that what he quoted from you was missed out.

Here is where he quoted you:

   Article 1518 of comp.sys.acorn:
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn
   Subject: Apple (was Re: Future Acorn products)
   Date: 12 Jun 91 19:05:15 GMT
   Sender: news@svin02.info.win.tue.nl

   Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:

   >I must admit to find it curious to see a strategic link between Acorn
   >and Apple, via ARM Ltd, when the Apple Mac and Archimedes are directly
   >competing in the educational market.

   I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
   reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
   the first place?

   Tiggr

Then came this item from Evan Torrie:

   Article 1528 of comp.sys.acorn:
   From: torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn
   Subject: Re: Apple (was Re: Future Acorn products)
   Date: 12 Jun 91 23:52:56 GMT
   Sender: torrie@neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie)

   rcpieter@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:

   >Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:

   >I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
   >reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
   >the first place?

Note that there is only one set of arrows, so it says that tiggr wrote that you
wrote something and then he wrote the junk at the end.
The problems then happened with this item from Mark:

   Article 1544 of comp.sys.acorn:
   From: t891368@otto.bf.rmit.oz.au (Mark)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn
   Date: 17 Jun 91 03:23:38 GMT

   >>Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:
   >>I think Apple would go for the RS/6000 instead of the ARM for performace
   >>reasons, but why would they ever have wanted to do anything with ARM Ltd in
   >>the first place?

Note that although this looks like it says Gavin is saying this infact the
indentation of the 'Gavin writes:' line and the quote are the same so the
quote is from whoever wrote the line 'Gavin writes:' not from Gavin.

It looks like people should be a bit more careful about the quotes they include
in there items.

Nicko

| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |