[comp.sys.acorn] BBC MICRO Rom Filing System

stephenm@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (M90) (06/21/91)

I have set of programs that I wish to install into a BBC model B under the RFS.

I may have to go spelunking in the manuals and find out how to do this
myself, but surely someone out there has already invented this particular wheel
and could supply me with a natty little basic program that will take a set of
programs and create the headers and calculate the CRCs and create a rom image.

I would like to use the RFS rather than anything else so that I can run a !BOOT
file and also *cat the files.

Mark Stephens.

(apologies to anyone whose already read about this in eunet.acorn)

snb90@uk.ac.soton.ecs (Stewart Brodie) (06/21/91)

In <stephenm.677440260@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> stephenm@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (M90) writes:

>I have set of programs that I wish to install into a BBC model B under the RFS.

>I may have to go spelunking in the manuals and find out how to do this
>myself, but surely someone out there has already invented this particular wheel
>and could supply me with a natty little basic program that will take a set of
>programs and create the headers and calculate the CRCs and create a rom image.

>I would like to use the RFS rather than anything else so that I can run a !BOOT
>file and also *cat the files.

>Mark Stephens.

>(apologies to anyone whose already read about this in eunet.acorn)

Beebug published a program to make a ROM FS rom image for the BBC B, but
I can't remember exactly when - it was a long time ago (1985? 6?) and I
think I deleted it from my discs but it did work well.

Stewart Brodie
(Ex BBC B user)

terros@sideways.gen.nz (Dave Sainty) (06/23/91)

> In <stephenm.677440260@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> stephenm@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (M90) writes
>

> >I have set of programs that I wish to install into a BBC model B under the R
>
> >I may have to go spelunking in the manuals and find out how to do this
> >myself, but surely someone out there has already invented this particular wh
> >and could supply me with a natty little basic program that will take a set o
> >programs and create the headers and calculate the CRCs and create a rom imag
>
> >I would like to use the RFS rather than anything else so that I can run a !B
> >file and also *cat the files.
>
> >Mark Stephens.

If you can, I suggest writing your own filing routines. I did some
experimenting with the RFS a while ago, and it's slow! slower than disc at any
rate!

But if you really want a program to do this, I think I wrote one a while ago. I
could try finding it and posting to the .binaries group.