[comp.sys.acorn] Repairs

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.211726.3647@watdragon.waterloo.edu> gcwillia@daisy.waterloo.edu (Graeme Williams) writes:
>(And if I can't is there an Acorn fix it chappie on the N. American
>continent??)

You'll be lucky. I can't find one in *London* to fix it.  I have a 440
whose video is shafted.  I can point to the TTL chip which is broken.
I phone up Acorn dealers and say 'If I bring my machine in with me,
will you fix it and let me take it back with me.'  Hell, I'd even let
them keep it overnight, - I just don't want to send it by mail or truck.

*Every* Acorn 'service centre' I've approached refuses to do anything
except swapping socketed chips.  It it's soldered in, they don't want to
know.  They all direct me to a place in Newcastle.  Even Acorn's ISV
support company says the same.

I'm too paranoid to truck my Archie that far away :-)

Does anyone know of a local (London) service centre who isn't afraid
to unsolder a chip and replace it?  Preferably while you wait?

Thanks

Graham

csuwr@warwick.ac.uk (Derek Hunter) (06/23/91)

In article <11238@castle.ed.ac.uk> gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) writes:

>Does anyone know of a local (London) service centre who isn't afraid
>to unsolder a chip and replace it?  Preferably while you wait?

Well, I don't /know/ (even if they're still around), but when I took my
 BBC B over to Solidisk, they got the soldering iron out before you could
 say `Naff speedup board capacitor kludge'. Granted that an Arc is slightly
 different compared with a Beeb, but if you're desperate, they /might/
 be willing to do it for you. (Their technician did the deed while I hung
 about making desultory remarks about their DDFS to him. It took about
 1-2hrs).

They live at Southend which isn't /very/ far away (depending on where in
 London you live).

	- A skate and a penguin living in close harmony, but the fish
		was a bit flat.

	- Derek, The Prune Hunter		csuwr@warwick.ac.uk
						        ^^^
					     But not for much longer :-(

osmith@acorn.co.uk (Owen Smith) (06/24/91)

In article <11238@castle.ed.ac.uk> gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) writes:

>Does anyone know of a local (London) service centre who isn't afraid
>to unsolder a chip and replace it?  Preferably while you wait?

Teach yourself to solder and then do it yourself. To remove a chip when
you haven't got one of those amazing chip desolder tools, you use cutters
to cut all the legs off the chip. Then you can desolder the legs one by one.
You will need a solder sucker for this - otherwise you'll never get the
solder out of the plated-through holes. Getting a friend to help you also
works wonders - one person with the soldering iron on one side of the board,
the other person with the sucker on the other side. Solder a turned pin chip
socket in, and put the replacement chip in the socket. No problem. I use one
of those dirt cheap Antex 17W soldering irons, so you don't even need
expensive gear.

Owen.

The views expressed are my own and are not necessarily those of Acorn.

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (06/25/91)

:
[...]

I *can* solder - in my formative years I soldered 200 BBC Micro Ram/Rom
boards (remember the Acorn User sponsored one?) which is mainly why
I never want to see a soldering iron again :-)

I _could_ if I felt like it cut off the legs and solder one on that way,
but I'd rather desolder it properly, and I'm not really happy with
desoldering and resoldering a board like this.  I'd rather leave it to
someone who does this sort of thing regularly, even though it's a
simple job.  It's *because* it's a simple job that I'm annoyed that
so-called Acorn 'service centres' refuse to do it.

Graham

Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) (06/25/91)

The Archimedes is a good machine, but it still needs to have
good service to back it up.

It is essential that suitable service be assured for these machines
as only then can a professional recommend anyone to buy one and
maintain ethical standards.  Also major companies normally consider
the level of support for a micro to be very important.  Not to mention
the average home user who *DOES NOT* want to get involved with soldering
in any way.

Therfore Owens Smith's remarks may have been relevent in the days of TRS80's
*BUT NOT NOW*.  In short his comments seem to demonstrate a lack of
understanding
of the support demanded by users in todays computer market.

Come on Acorn, and get your act together!!!

-Gavin.
--
The main "user" of well brought up, and educated, children is the community
at large.  So if you really believe in "user pays", charge the correct users

In article <1991Jun24.215955.4061@comp.vuw.ac.nz> gavin@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Gavin Flower) writes:
:
:The Archimedes is a good machine, but it still needs to have
:good service to back it up.
:
:It is essential that suitable service be assured for these machines
:as only then can a professional recommend anyone to buy one and
:maintain ethical standards.  Also major companies normally consider
:the level of support for a micro to be very important.  Not to mention
:the average home user who *DOES NOT* want to get involved with soldering
:in any way.

That's exactly the position I'm in. I've just finished a system for
indexing free text on CD Roms.  The client code runs on PCs, but tje
creation code was created on an Archie 540.  I *had* intended to
sell turnkey systems based on A540s, but my experience of Acorn kit
(which as a hobbyist I think is great) and its reliability is such that
I'm having serious thoughts about porting my stuff back to DOS.  (With
a 4Mb DOS box and dos extender, it'll just about run :-( )

And it's not just my own hardware failing (two archies, three keyboards,
umpteen disk drives) that worries me -- I have once before persuaded
a client to buy Acorn kit (someone who did heavy TeXing and bought
a top-end 440) - and he has had his hard disk die once and the replacement
is now starting to wobble...

I've had a Dell PC for 3 years without a single fault.

So yes, I too am having serious doubts about recommending Acorn
equipment to clients.

Graham

osmith@acorn.co.uk (Owen Smith) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.215955.4061@comp.vuw.ac.nz> Gavin.Flower@comp.vuw.ac.nz
(Gavin Flower) writes:

>Therfore Owens Smith's remarks may have been relevent in the days of TRS80's
>*BUT NOT NOW*.  In short his comments seem to demonstrate a lack of
>understanding
>of the support demanded by users in todays computer market.

Not so. I accept that good service should be available. I used to be system
manager of a large (3 washing machine size boxes) Data General minicomputer.
Although I did play around with the boards and cabling from time to time,
I greatly appreciated having a four hour call out maintenance contract. In
short, I tackled the jobs I could handle myself, and I called in the
engineer for the jobs I couldn't handle. This is what I would recommend
anyone to do, unless you have problems with invalidating warranties and
maintenance contracts (I knew the engineer personally) in which case you
should always use the proper service facilities.

I was suggesting how Graham(?) could get out of the immediate problem that
he has a non functional machine and he couldn't find anyone to repair it ie.
I was being pragmatic. I agree entirely that the service centres should
be prepared to take the job on. If they can't change a chip, then what
can they do? Is installing podules the limit of their capabilities?