[comp.sys.acorn] !ArcFS

cs_b151@kingston.ac.uk (Jeffries S R) (06/25/91)

Wow at last weve got a nearly decent PC emulator,  I do think the upgrade
price of $70 is a bit steep seeing as we paid $90 for the original!

Right now to the question,

       Is it possible to deselect applications,  you see I've got hundreds
of soundtracker modules archived on about 20 discs.  Each one of them should
automatically open up the archive on cataloguing the disc with !ArcFS.

       The very first disc I look at works ok, but on trying the next one
the archive remains closed.  This is because if an application has the same
name it does not read the !boot file but assumes it is the same as the last
one.

       So coming back to my original question is there anyway around this with
out having to rename every !ArcFS application on every disc.

Thanks for any help

Steve

cabr07@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.101456.2486@kingston.ac.uk>, cs_b151@kingston.ac.uk (Jeffries S R) writes:

>        The very first disc I look at works ok, but on trying the next one
> the archive remains closed.  This is because if an application has the same
> name it does not read the !boot file but assumes it is the same as the last
> one.
>
>        So coming back to my original question is there anyway around this with
> out having to rename every !ArcFS application on every disc.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Steve

The Arc knows the application has been seen before if a sprite called
!application exists in the wimp sprite area.   If you want the boot
file to be run every time you just need to remove the line
IconSprites <Obey$Dir>.!Sprites
from the !Boot file,   so you won't see a fancy icon for your application
but it will run the !Boot file every time it sees the app.

Gordon.

|G.N.Sinclair               | JANET:   G.N.Sinclair@uk.ac.strath.vaxa          |
|Physics & Applied Phys Dept| BITNET:  G.N.Sinclair%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@UKACRL   |
|Strathclyde University     | UUCP:    G.N.Sinclair%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@ukc.uucp |
|107 Rottenrow      |Internet:G.N.Sinclair%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk|
|Glasgow G4 0NG, Scotland   |                                                  |

john@acorn.co.uk (John Bowler) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.180022.11966@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cabr07@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:
|In article <1991Jun25.101456.2486@kingston.ac.uk>, cs_b151@kingston.ac.uk (Jeffries S R) writes:
|
|>        The very first disc I look at works ok, but on trying the next one
|> the archive remains closed.  This is because if an application has the same
|> name it does not read the !boot file but assumes it is the same as the last
|> one.
|>
|>        So coming back to my original question is there anyway around this with
|> out having to rename every !ArcFS application on every disc.
|>
|                                           If you want the boot
|file to be run every time you just need to remove the line
|IconSprites <Obey$Dir>.!Sprites
|from the !Boot file,   so you won't see a fancy icon for your application
|but it will run the !Boot file every time it sees the app.

While this solution does work, in some sense it shouldn't.  The semantics
of ! directory names are quite clear; if a directory name starts with a !
character then it is an application.  If an application has the same name
as another application it is the same application!  If the application
directory contains a !Boot file then this must be executed to initialise
the application; *but* it should only be executed once.  By removing the
IconSprites command you cause the operating system to initialise the
``same'' application multiple times - it really shouldn't be doing this!

I assume that the !ArcFS !Boot file has been modified so that !ArcFS is
actually run from within the !Boot file - !Boot files should not do this!
The boot file should just set up sufficient information to allow !Run to
work, to get the correct sprite and to set up file types appropriately.
Surely in the case in question the answer is to make a !Boot file for each
*disc* which rmensure's the ArcFS module (I think !ArcFS is an RM) then
catalogues the archive using the appropriate commands?  That way !ArcFS does
not have to be on each disc, although you do have to see a !ArcFS before
inserting the archive discs.

John Bowler (jbowler@acorn.co.uk)