[comp.sys.acorn] SCSI interfaces - background capability

torq@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (06/25/91)

On the Acorn SCSI card that I have, there is a facility to do background
transfer, by setting b29 of r1 and a address to call in r6 on entry to
SCSI_op. Is this facility unique to the acorn card? is it used in riscix?

Which cards are actually compatible with the riscix device drivers? Since
acorn have released riscix to ordinary archimedes owners it might be of some
benefit to know this..

Andy

kwelton@acorn.co.uk (Kevin Welton) (06/27/91)

torq@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk writes:

>On the Acorn SCSI card that I have, there is a facility to do background
>transfer, by setting b29 of r1 and a address to call in r6 on entry to
>SCSI_op. Is this facility unique to the acorn card? is it used in riscix?

The facility is nothing to do with Acorn's SCSI card, it is a feature
provided by RISC OS.  Under RISCiX, the kernel blocks all read/write
operations until the transfer is complete, but there is nothing stopping
you forking off another process to do the transfer for you.

>Which cards are actually compatible with the riscix device drivers? Since
>acorn have released riscix to ordinary archimedes owners it might be of some
>benefit to know this..

The RISCiX device drivers work with Acorn's SCSI card only.

>Andy
Kevin
--
Kevin Welton				Email: kwelton@acorn.co.uk
Acorn Computers Ltd			Phone: (+44) 223 245200

banksie@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) (06/28/91)

In article <9106251106.AA05878@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> torq@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk writes:
>On the Acorn SCSI card that I have, there is a facility to do background
>transfer, by setting b29 of r1 and a address to call in r6 on entry to
>SCSI_op. Is this facility unique to the acorn card? is it used in riscix?

	  The facility is not unique to the card but rather has been included
	in the filing system mangemant routines by Acorn. A filing system can
	set bit 29 of its descriptor word to indicate that it is capable of
	background transfers. I beleive that this is for the `non exsistant'
	Risc OS 2.5 which will be released sometime in the near future as it
	is rumoured (by the Micro User I think) to have fully backgrounded
	file access.(Among other things) Of course all the PD filing systems
	will still be non backgrounded....

	  On another vein this desire for Virtual memory that people have been
	expressing. To be honest I don't think the Arc really needs it. I
	upgraded to four Megs (I own an A3000 with floppy. Unfortunately sans
	hard drive...<sigh>) and even with an 800K ram drive and somewhat
	ridiculous loading of applications I find it very hard to push the
	machine below the 1 Meg mark. With the new machines coming that have
	16 Meg I really do not think that memory will be a problem.
	  We have been somewhat fortunate to have an Operating system in which
	the `small is beautiful' principle can be achieved (and nearly always
	without a loss in functionality). When you compare the functionality
	and size of an application like Impression with the nearest Mac &
	IBM equivalents this becomes very clear.
	   If you really want an improvement worth the time how about we
	finally get an Arc that has :-

	-inbuilt 24 bit colour Video with *its own private Video bus*!

	This is *the* thing that I think causes the Arc to suffer. Always
	having the full 4.7 odd MIPS available to you no matter what screen
	mode would so much more useful than virtual memory.

	-An ARM 3 unit for the A3000.

	This one really niggles me as it is the only current way around the
	Video DMA problem mentioned above. And it is not available for the
	A3000! Now I *know* that VLSI have made ceramic versions of the ARM3
	that are perfect for fitting in the A3000 but that they are apparently
	held up in talking to acorn about warranty problems etc (due to the
	soldering...). Now the main reason I bought the A3000 rather than
	,say, a 310 was because:- 1) It was cheaper.
				  2) It was fully compatible with the hardware
					then available.
				  3) It had the nice easy memory upgrade option
					built in.

	So with this great hardware compatibility I still cannot get an ARM3
	for my machine! And being a speed fiend ,not to mention I have a few
	simulations that need the crunch, I find this lack very irksome.

	So how about we get these sort of improvements instead?

	  Philip
--
*------------------------------------------------------------------*   @@@@@@/|
|    BANKSie! (aka Philip Banks)  BANKSIE@rata.vuw.ac.nz           |   @@@@@/#|

kers@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) (06/28/91)

Philip Banks says:

     On another vein this desire for Virtual memory that people have been
   expressing. To be honest I don't think the Arc really needs it. I
   upgraded to four Megs (I own an A3000 with floppy. Unfortunately sans
   hard drive...<sigh>) and even with an 800K ram drive and somewhat
   ridiculous loading of applications I find it very hard to push the
   machine below the 1 Meg mark. With the new machines coming that have
   16 Meg I really do not think that memory will be a problem.

I now need a 2+Mb wimpslot to C-compile one of the modules of my virtual
machine interpreter. They day before yesterday, my wife had installed [*1]
Poster, Impression, and a couple of other applications. Result: I couldn't
rebuild the VM.

Yes, I'd like virtual memory (especially as my current garbage collector is a
stop-and-copy one). We won't be able to afford more store for a while yet ...

[*1] On the icon bar, and I didn't want to abandon her work.
--

Regards, Chris ``GC's should take less than 0.1 second'' Dollin.

torq@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.212244.5025@rata.vuw.ac.nz> banksie@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) writes:

>	-inbuilt 24 bit colour Video with *its own private Video bus*!
>
>	This is *the* thing that I think causes the Arc to suffer. Always
>	having the full 4.7 odd MIPS available to you no matter what screen
>	mode would so much more useful than virtual memory.
A friend of mine who designs hardare addons for the arc is doing a little
project with two-port RAM, so that hopefully he can get a private video
bus in the arc.. (i dont know the details - trade secrets!!)

sounds like one to watch out for...

Andy