[comp.sys.acorn] Bad files from info-server?

kelvin@thed.uk22.bull.com (Kelvin Hill) (06/30/91)

Has anyone else had bad files received from the info-server @ newcastle
over the last few days? I've tried packdir and translator 6.61 and both
files came back un-sparkable. I did notice thatthe sparkives had no
CR (0x0d)s in them at all. Have they been stripped, and if so, is it
my end or newcastles?
I also notice that newcastle is taking up to 4 days to ship stuff back
after requesting it. Again, is anyone else noticing this or is itjust me?

Kelvin.

--
Kelvin J. Hill - BULL HN Information System Ltd, Hounslow, England, UK.
Internet - kelvin@thed.uk22.bull.com   | UUCP - kelvin@cix.compulink.co.uk

gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) (06/30/91)

In article <kelvin.678222954@thed.uk22.bull.com> kelvin@thed.uk22.bull.com (Kelvin Hill) writes:
:Has anyone else had bad files received from the info-server @ newcastle
:over the last few days? I've tried packdir and translator 6.61 and both
:files came back un-sparkable. I did notice thatthe sparkives had no
:CR (0x0d)s in them at all. Have they been stripped, and if so, is it
:my end or newcastles?
:I also notice that newcastle is taking up to 4 days to ship stuff back
:after requesting it. Again, is anyone else noticing this or is itjust me?
:
:Kelvin.
:

Albert has already posted once saying that if he gets files sent
to him which are not already compressed, he .tar.Z's them.  So feed
your file through compress -d and tar xv in that order.

The delays aren't from Newcastle -- they're from Britains extremely
damp piece of wet string at nsfnet-relay which goes down more often
than Linda Lovelace :-(

PS Why would you expect CR's?  This isn't DOS, you know...

In <11369@castle.ed.ac.uk> gtoal@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Toal) writes:

>Albert has already posted once saying that if he gets files sent
>to him which are not already compressed, he .tar.Z's them.  So feed
>your file through compress -d and tar xv in that order.

The files *are* Spark archives. I ran them both thru a visual check and
!Sparkinfo. They are just damaged archives. What I am trying to figure
out is wether they were damaged before Albert got them, or if it's the
info server damaging them.

>The delays aren't from Newcastle -- they're from Britains extremely
>damp piece of wet string at nsfnet-relay which goes down more often
>than Linda Lovelace :-(

Aha, I thought it might be that... thanks for the confirmation.

>PS Why would you expect CR's?  This isn't DOS, you know...

In any Sparkive I would expect to see a fairly even spread of all binary
values present, otherwise the compression is not doing the full job.
If there is one particular binary value missing, then it's a reasonable
assumption that somewhere, something has selectively stripped that value out.
For example, a DOS to UNIX file conversion/file transfer could have done it.
There are lots of LFs in the files, but not one single CR... comments?

Kelvin.
--

gtoal@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (07/01/91)

In article <kelvin.678281900@thed.uk22.bull.com> kelvin@thed.uk22.bull.com (Kelvin Hill) writes:
:In any Sparkive I would expect to see a fairly even spread of all binary
:values present, otherwise the compression is not doing the full job.
:If there is one particular binary value missing, then it's a reasonable
:assumption that somewhere, something has selectively stripped that value out.
:For example, a DOS to UNIX file conversion/file transfer could have done it.
:There are lots of LFs in the files, but not one single CR... comments?

I think you've nailed it.  I suspect someone has kermitted the file
to their net machine without setting binary mode.  Moral: always encode
your files *before* they leave your machine.

Just out of interest, which program was it?  Maybe the author could
re-send it?

Graham