[comp.sys.novell] uucp as vap under AdvNetware 2.x ?

hwr@pilhuhn.uucp (Heiko W.Rupp) (11/28/90)

Hi,
is there someone running a uucp as vap under NetWare ?

This vap could collect all mail/news from the LAN-Users and
dial up another uucp-site ?

Does something like this exist ???

-Heiko

--
 O|O  Heiko W.Rupp             hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org
  |   Gerwigstr.5            | There is someone in my head, but it't not me
  U   FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |                       - Pink Floyd
      Voice : + 49 721 693642| Do You know where Your towel is ???

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (11/29/90)

In article <18469fb3.ARN0e74@pilhuhn.uucp> hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org writes:
>Hi,
>is there someone running a uucp as vap under NetWare ?
>
>This vap could collect all mail/news from the LAN-Users and
>dial up another uucp-site ?
>
>Does something like this exist ???

I've been tempted to do something like this, but allas, time does not permit.
Perhaps it would be better to run on an OS/2 workstation as a bridge.

--
Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (11/29/90)

In article <96@cscdec.cs.com> jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) writes:
>In article <18469fb3.ARN0e74@pilhuhn.uucp> hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org writes:
>>Hi,
>>is there someone running a uucp as vap under NetWare ?
>>
>>This vap could collect all mail/news from the LAN-Users and
>>dial up another uucp-site ?
>>
>>Does something like this exist ???
>
>I've been tempted to do something like this, but allas, time does not permit.
>Perhaps it would be better to run on an OS/2 workstation as a bridge.

A company I consult for is picking up UUCP mail and news on a
dedicated DOS machine.  We store it locally and will be using Fresh
Technologies Map-Assist to make that drive accessible by the rest of
the network.   There's a reason we don't store the news on the server.

Directory entries.

While 12 Meg of news per day is not a lot for our almost-gigabyte
server, several thousand little files quickly chewed up all available
directory entries.  Of course, I could change the parameters for that
volume, but the immediate solution was to get everything off the
server so that work could continue that day.  The gateway machine has
80 Meg of space not being used for anything, so this all seemed
logical.

I also toyed with the idea of writing a VAP for the UUCP and I'm now
glad I didn't.   I'm more interested right now in the possibility of
running NNTP over our ARCNET to possibly improve the performance over
Map-Assist.  Any pointers in that direction?

~~~Steve

--
 *