[comp.sys.novell] Nbackup configuration file?

heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) (11/29/90)

Is there a way to get nbackup to read its parameters from a configuration
file?  or put them on the command line?

I want to do an Nbackup each night to a hard disk on the network
without being present.  The computer doing the backup will be locked up
in a seperate area from the server.

I know there are other commercial programs out there, but buying something
here is worse than pulling teeth.  So I need to use nbackup or some free
program.

Thanks
-gregory
NAVELEX,SD

--

-gregory  Just my two cents which shouldn't make a flame,
	  unless you rub them real hard.

ccsjaas@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Julian Sims) (11/30/90)

Hello there, I dont know the answer to your question but I do know that I
am getting into the thick of a Novell Netware Network for the very first time
and it is quite daunting, especially since the folks who used to supervise and
or install it have moved on to another planet.
Basically I need lots of little tips on most everything.  I do know how to log
in as supervisor, so thats a start.
How about changing the printer.  The current printer has worn out so they are
replacing it with a different model.  What has to happen for this to be success
ful?

Any tips would be very greatfully received.

J.Sims Bath University.

maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/03/90)

In article <2500@cod.NOSC.MIL>, heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) writes:
> Is there a way to get nbackup to read its parameters from a configuration
> file?  or put them on the command line?

It seems you should be able to make a text file with the commands you
need to run and redirect the input to nbackup from this file as in

			d:>nbackup <autobup.txt

since you can select Novells menus by pressing the first letters of
the menu choice.  I haven't tried this with Novell's utilities but it
has worked with DOS utilities that wanted letter-abreviated commands
followed by returns.  I have thought about trying to make a command input file
which would send the arrow keys, but I haven't gotten around to it.
One thing to remember is to put <return>s where you would normally put
them in.  Your "autobup.txt" (or whatever you want to call it) will
probably be a bunch of one character lines.

--
     |\   \\\\__                                  __
     | \_/    o \   Anthony Maimer               /  |
     | / \__+___/  maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   /o   /_/|
     |/     |/				      <  ))  _ <
                                              \     \ \|
                                               \    |

heflin@cod.NOSC.MIL (Greg R. Heflin) (12/06/90)

>It seems you should be able to make a text file with the commands you
>need to run and redirect the input to nbackup from this file as in
>			d:>nbackup <autobup.txt
>     | \_/    o \   Anthony Maimer               /  |
>     | / \__+___/  maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   /o   /_/|

Thanks for the good idea.
But nbackup will NOT accept redirection.
Does anyone else have any other ideas?
Or can you point me in the direction of a free backup utility?

Thanks
-gregory
NAVELEX,SD
Would you rather be red than dead?!