[comp.sys.novell] HELP with NOVELL/netbios/WIN 3.0 question!

cruz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Alex Cruz) (12/01/90)

Hello Everybody!

How about this for a problem without an answer?

We want:  To run separate NOVEL netbios emulation sessions
          using software that multitasks, for example,
          Windows 3.0 or DesqView  (preferably, Windows 3.0).

We can't find:  anybody that is currently doing this at this moment.
                A lot of people say and comment that it can be done
                but we would like to be able to talk to somebody that
                has done it.

We are ALSO having a problem choosing the DOS prompt from the WIN 3.0
main menu once we have ATTACHED to our LAN - WIN 3.0 are running in
386 enhanced mode.  Any clues about that one?

Help will be appreciated.

Alex Cruz

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Nov30.203004.2810@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> cruz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Alex Cruz) writes:

>How about this for a problem without an answer?
>
>We want:  To run separate NOVEL netbios emulation sessions
>          using software that multitasks, for example,
>          Windows 3.0 or DesqView  (preferably, Windows 3.0).

I'm not clear exactly what you mean.  I have Windows 3.0 installed on the
file server (according the the Windows manual directions), and my individual
workstations have a small windows directory that contains their setup info
(preferred colors, which icons where, etc.).  I wrote a DOS batch file that
is called from the EXIT in the user login scripts.  The batch file resides
in SYS:PUBLIC.  When the user logs into Novell, it boots Windows and starts
them.  When they exit Windows, they log out of Novell.  So far, it works
great, and the memory management provided by Windows is a plus.

>We are ALSO having a problem choosing the DOS prompt from the WIN 3.0
>main menu once we have ATTACHED to our LAN - WIN 3.0 are running in
>386 enhanced mode.  Any clues about that one?

No clue on this one.  We are also running in 386 enhanced mode.  I have no
problems getting a DOS prompt.  Are you attaching to the LAN from within
Windows?  Or is Windows running on the server?

I hope this helps.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693