[comp.sys.novell] Macintosh files in Novell

andrew@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) (12/04/90)

We have Novell Adv. NW 286 V2.15 Rev C with Apple extensions and an NE2000
card to allow Macs to be integrated into the Novell system (and Mac network
printers to be accessible from Novell land)

This WORKS fine.
However (or but..., if you prefer)

The Mac files on the Novell server become marked execute only.  This has
the effect that those files cannot be backed up using "normal"
Novell backup techniques and still retain flags, groups etc.

I did think of one alternative, and that is to save a control
file of the flags, owner, group etc. and then be able to use a
"dos" type restore and run the control file using a piece of
unknown software over the whole file system (or just the MAC
stuff) happily restoring the Novellian data lost at backup time.

Does anyone have any really great ideas ?

Thanks,
Andrew.

--
    Andrew Moore      |         Faculty of Computing and Information Technology
Networking Supervisor |       Caulfield Campus, Monash Uni, VIC 3145, Australia

ddg@intuit.intuit.COM (David DelGreco) (12/06/90)

andrew@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) writes:

>We have Novell Adv. NW 286 V2.15 Rev C with Apple extensions and an NE2000
>card to allow Macs to be integrated into the Novell system (and Mac network
>printers to be accessible from Novell land)

>This WORKS fine.
>However (or but..., if you prefer)

>The Mac files on the Novell server become marked execute only.  This has
>the effect that those files cannot be backed up using "normal"
>Novell backup techniques and still retain flags, groups etc.

You need backup software which recognizes the Mac files.  MBACKUP or
something comes with the Mac VAP software.  But we use Mountain Systems
2.2 Gb backup, which recognizes the Mac files and allows them to keep
their full name, rights, case of the filename, etc.  This one is
expensive; but they're are cheaper ones available.  Check out the
network mags.

David DelGreco
ddg@intuit.com