[comp.sys.novell] Looking for document library management software

moyn@jake.tmc.edu (Dennis Moynihan) (12/08/90)

We've just installed a Novell server as an office productivity aid.  One of the main uses we're looking at is document management.  I'd like to find any        commercial, shareware, or public domain packages that provide document
library management.  By this I mean tracking author and date, providing an
index with subject or keyword info, and most importantly managing document
check in and check out (so two folks to accidently modify the same document
concurrently, etc.).  To me this seems like a fairly common need, but I
haven't run across too much in this area.

Something Windows based would be icing on the cake.  I'd also be interested
in non-Novell offerings, say for a Sun system or even VM/CMS or TSO (sorry).
And we've already got IBM PROFS, but that's unacceptable for workstation
based document management. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Normally I don't post from this mail address, so please send your
your responses to the list.  I'm fairly sure there won't been too many.

levin@world.std.com (Levin F Magruder) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec7.165300.20419@cs.wayne.edu> moyn@jake.tmc.edu (Dennis Moynihan) writes:

>We've just installed a Novell server as an office productivity aid.  One of the main uses we're looking at is document management.  I'd like to find any
commercial, shareware, or public domain packages that provide . . .
> tracking author and date, providing an
>index with subject or keyword info, and most importantly managing document
>check in and check out (so two folks to accidently modify the same document
>concurrently, etc.).  To me this seems like a fairly common need, but I
>haven't run across too much in this area.

I've just started looking into this, too.  There are apparently three
big players in this game,
* ProFound from Informatics
* PC DOCS from CMS/Data
* PerfectSolution from SoftSolution

I think they all provide what you're looking for, as well as full text
indexing of all your docs.   I believe ProFound also lets you do
searches along the lines of "document contains 'window' and 'icing' and
subject contains 'document'"... maybe the others do, to.  Perfect
Solution I think works for WordPerfect only, not sure.  I have a number
for PCDOCS - 1-800-933-DOCS.

Good luck and I, for one, would be interested in you mailing or posting
anything you find out.