[comp.sys.novell] Converting 286->386 on Racore

mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) (12/04/90)

We are upgrading from Netware 286 to Netware 386, and want to connect both the
new and old fileservers onto the same physical, Racore network.  (Racore is the
brand of the packet driver, like Ethernet).

When we place both servers onto the same cable, it becomes impossible to log
into the 386 server.  We have polling set correctly, and the Racore distributor
here claims it's not a Racore problem.  The strange thing is, all servers appear
correctly on the slist, however when you try to log in, an error message comes
up after the connection times out.

I know that 2 servers can talk on the same cable, and am hopeing someone out
there has had a similar problem.  Any help or ideas for me to try would be
greatly appreciated.

+Mark.
| Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist |
| email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory |
| Phone: At MacUni: (61 2) 805-8592           Macquarie University, Australia |
| Fax  :          : (61 2) 805-7433           / \                             |
|                                              |   This one goes up to 11.....|

Christian.Kuehnke@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Christian Kuehnke) (12/06/90)

mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>We are upgrading from Netware 286 to Netware 386, and want to connect both the
>new and old fileservers onto the same physical, Racore network.  (Racore is the
>brand of the packet driver, like Ethernet).

>When we place both servers onto the same cable, it becomes impossible to log
>into the 386 server.  We have polling set correctly, and the Racore distributor
>here claims it's not a Racore problem.  The strange thing is, all servers appear
>correctly on the slist, however when you try to log in, an error message comes
>up after the connection times out.

>I know that 2 servers can talk on the same cable, and am hopeing someone out
>there has had a similar problem.  Any help or ideas for me to try would be
>greatly appreciated.

Hmmm... No guarantees about that information, but i could imagine that
Novell disallows two servers running with the same software-serial-number to
interact with each other... Are the servers running different licenses ?

Christian
--
Christian Kuehnke   * Christian.Kuehnke@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
Hartenscher Damm 65 *

dave@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Dave Schwarz) (12/10/90)

In article <3963@uniol.UUCP>,
 mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>We are upgrading from Netware 286 to Netware 386, and want to connect both the
>new and old fileservers onto the same physical, Racore network.  (Racore is the
>brand of the packet driver, like Ethernet).

>When we place both servers onto the same cable, it becomes impossible to log
>into the 386 server.  We have polling set correctly, and the Racore distributor
>here claims it's not a Racore problem.  The strange thing is, all servers appear
>correctly on the slist, however when you try to log in, an error message comes
>up after the connection times out.

>I know that 2 servers can talk on the same cable, and am hopeing someone out
>there has had a similar problem.  Any help or ideas for me to try would be
>greatly appreciated.

You need to run the correct network drivers and login programs, Netware 386
uses encoding on passwords and the like, you can turn it off though, try it.

dave
--
Dave Schwarz @ Monash Uni Caulfield Campus               This space now for hire
900 Dandynong Rd,East Caulfield,Vic,Australia         (and I know that DANDENONG

ginger@la.excelan.com (Judy "Ginger" Edighoffer) (12/12/90)

mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>We are upgrading from Netware 286 to Netware 386, and want to connect both the
>new and old fileservers onto the same physical, Racore network.  (Racore is the
>brand of the packet driver, like Ethernet).
>
>When we place both servers onto the same cable, it becomes impossible to log
>into the 386 server.  We have polling set correctly, and the Racore distributor
>here claims it's not a Racore problem.  The strange thing is, all servers appear
>correctly on the slist, however when you try to log in, an error message comes
>up after the connection times out.

  NetWare386 differs from NetWare286 in the way passwords are passed around.
By default, NetWare386 insists on accepting only encrypted passwords.
NetWare286 lacks the encryption facility.  You might try adding the following
line to the autoexec.ncf file for the 386 server:

set allow unencrypted passwords = on

This tells the NetWare386 box to also accept logons from NetWare shells &
servers that spit out the 286-style plain passwords.

Ginger Edighoffer
ginger@novell.com