[comp.sys.novell] Backup to tape and priveleges

dbielik@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (12/06/90)

Thank you to all the people who sent replies regarding my problem with backing
up at a particular time without using a TSR.

To all those people, however, who told me that RO are the only priveleges
necessary to give the backup a/c, I offer my explanation.  Firstly, only a
supervisor a/c can backup all the files, including user files, security
information, binderies etc. and the reason why write access has to be put
on is because without write access, how is the program going to change the
archive bit?

If someone could tell me another way, I would be most appreciative.

Now, onto other matters, how can one run a batch file from a login script
without using EXIT "batchfile"?

* Danny Bielik                                  J U S T                       *
* dbielik@mqccsuna.mqcs.mq.oz.au                         S A Y                *
* Macquarie University - Sydney Australia                        N O ! !      *
* Phone (W) +61-2-212-6699 Fax +61-2-281-7394                                 *

jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Jeff Capehart) (12/06/90)

In article <842@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> dbielik@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) writes:
>Now, onto other matters, how can one run a batch file from a login script
>without using EXIT "batchfile"?

Maybe in your login script batch file you can say

COMMAND <file.bat

That way you invoke command.com to run a sub-shell of DOS and then the
exit command at the end of the batch file will terminate the command.com
sub-shell.  Give it a shot and see if it works.
--
Jeff Capehart 		Internet: jdc@beach.cis.ufl.edu
University of Florida	UUCP:   ..!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jdc

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (12/07/90)

In article <842@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> dbielik@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny
Bielik) writes:

   [...Stuff deleted...]

   Now, onto other matters, how can one run a batch file from a login script
   without using EXIT "batchfile"?

Easy.

#COMMAND /C "batchfile"

This lets you run the batchfile within the login script.  When the
batch file exits, it returns you to the login script, no EXIT
required.

~~~Steve

--
/*************************************************
 *

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (12/07/90)

Many tape backup systems will allow you to disable the archive bit setting
so you can backup R/O directories.  The other reason for this is so you
can backup files which other people have open for reading - like menu
text files, etc..

jamesp@world.std.com    "Reality is not an industry standard"

leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) (12/07/90)

Hello everyone,

	What types of tape drives are people using to do their backups?
We have an IBM 6157 streaming tape drive for an Model 80. The 80 is the file
server. The tape works under DOS but I can not find the Novell Drivers for
using it with the system software. Does anyone know if there is one for it?

Any help appreciated Thanks

Brian Pierson

david@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (David Nerenberg) (12/08/90)

In article <ABRAMS.90Dec6175707@division.cs.columbia.edu> abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) writes:
>In article <842@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> dbielik@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny
>Bielik) writes:
>
>   [...Stuff deleted...]
>
>   Now, onto other matters, how can one run a batch file from a login script
>   without using EXIT "batchfile"?
>
>Easy.
>
>#COMMAND /C "batchfile"
>
>This lets you run the batchfile within the login script.  When the
>batch file exits, it returns you to the login script, no EXIT
>required.
>
>~~~Steve

Another popular way to run a batch file from a login script is to compile
the batch file with bat2exec wich is now a standard DOS utility available
from many FTP sites.  Witb bat2exec, you compile the batch file to a
com file and can run it using the '#'.

						Dave

--
david@po.cwru.edu            *  Eagle  *      David Nerenberg
73107,177 Compuserve        * Computers *     Information Network Services

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (12/12/90)

In article <2402@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) writes:
>Hello everyone,
>
>	What types of tape drives are people using to do their backups?
>We have an IBM 6157 streaming tape drive for an Model 80. The 80 is the file
>server. The tape works under DOS but I can not find the Novell Drivers for
>using it with the system software. Does anyone know if there is one for it?

I'm using a Mountain Tape streaming tape drive.  My file server is an Intel
401 (486-based PC).  I'm looking for a better tape system as my current
drive takes up to 8 60mb tapes to do a complete backup of only one volume.
I'm looking at exabyte drives so I can go to the 8mm videocassettes that
we use on our Sun network.

Anyway, I asked my tech support CNE about backup systems.  He told me that
there are no backup systems that run directly off the file server (other
than doing a nbackup).  Whatever backup I choose will have to run off one
of the workstations on the network.

He recommended a particular software, but I don't have that information
handy right now.  I'll post it when I get back to work next week.

I hope this helps.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693