[comp.sys.novell] CD-ROM with a Novell server

adyer@milo.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x2446) (12/04/90)

We have an Amdek LaserDek CD-ROM drive, and we would like to connect
it to our Novell server so that the drive can be accessed by all of
the client machines.  We are running version 2.15.  Has anyone
successfully done this?  If so, how much did it cost?  Was any custom
software required?

Please reply via this group, as our site does not receive
bit.listserv.novell nor can I seem to reach the Novell mailing list
from our site.

{uunet, mips, decwrl}!wyse!adyer or adyer@wyse.com
"One day I asked the angels for inspiration, and the devil bought me a drink.
 He's been buying them ever since. "

ca_bt@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (12/04/90)

In article <ADYER.90Dec3095400@milo.wyse.com>, adyer@milo.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x2446) writes...

>We have an Amdek LaserDek CD-ROM drive, and we would like to connect
>it to our Novell server so that the drive can be accessed by all of
>the client machines.  We are running version 2.15.  Has anyone
>successfully done this?  If so, how much did it cost?  Was any custom
>software required?

You can do it with a program called Opti-Net by Online Computer Systems.
They're in Germantown, MD (800-922-9204).  It works pretty well, although
I recommend using it in conjuction with something like QEMM-386 or
386-to-the-max since device drivers are needed on client machines which
eats into available RAM.
				- Bill Tsang

lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) (12/05/90)

In article <ADYER.90Dec3095400@milo.wyse.com> adyer@milo.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x2446) writes:
>bit.listserv.novell nor can I seem to reach the Novell mailing list
 -------------------

what is this?

thanx......lee

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (12/06/90)

In article <20263@.la.locus.com> lee@locus.com (Lee Slaughter) writes:
>In article <ADYER.90Dec3095400@milo.wyse.com> adyer@milo.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x2446) writes:
>>bit.listserv.novell nor can I seem to reach the Novell mailing list
> -------------------
>
>what is this?

Bit.listserv.novell is the bitnet news group NOVELL@SUVM.BITNET that is
fed into the news readers on the internet. the connection can often be
SLOW.  I subscribe to it when the internet feed gets days behind.--
If you subscribe directly, it comes as regular mail (ugh) instead of
news reader style.

jamesp@world.std.com     "Reality is not an industry standard"

fritchie@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Scott Fritchie) (12/12/90)

My apologies if this has been posted more than once -- I've been having
dreadful problems with inews...

In article <ADYER.90Dec3095400@milo.wyse.com> adyer@milo.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x2446) writes:

   We have an Amdek LaserDek CD-ROM drive, and we would like to connect
   it to our Novell server so that the drive can be accessed by all of
   the client machines.  We are running version 2.15.  Has anyone
   successfully done this?  If so, how much did it cost?  Was any custom
   software required?

There are a couple of ways to do it.  The first is to set aside a PC
to act as a dedicated CD-ROM server.  I've evaluated 2 products that
pescefully coexist with IPX/SPX:

	On-Line Computer Systems's Opti-Net.  Usually sold as a
	software-only package.  Blew away LANTtastic (Artisoft) and
	CD Connection (CBIS) in terms of throughput for use with _our
	CD-ROM applications_.  (US zipcode database, interactive and
	batch queries, ArcList interface)  Your mileage may vary.
	Also works with NetBIOS networks.

	CBIS's CD Connection.  Usually sold as a PC tower/software
	package (tower holds up to 7 CD-ROM drives ... NEC SCSI
	drives if I remember correctly).

	Meridian Data's CD-NET is another tower/software package.
	Unlike CBIS, Meridian seemed very unwilling to sell the
	software only -- since we've got more than enough PCs and
	CD-ROM drives, we didn't both pushing for an evaluation.
	Also claimed to work with Novell networks.

Artisoft's LANtastic is a NetBIOS-compatible peer-to-peer network
which supports CD-ROM sharing.  I've evaluated a 2-node package: very
nice, slick, and generally fast network for those who don't want or
need the Novell complexity.  The CD-ROM performance was a bit
disappointing, but I think I can blame the CD-ROM unit I was using
(Hitachi 1503S with the proprietary IFI-4A interface card,
HITACHIA.SYS driver) than I can the LANtastic package.

If you are unwilling to dedicate another PC to network serving duty, I
found out something of note.  After talking to countless sales and
tech reps at Novell, I found a rumor that On-Line was developing
Novell file-server support for CD-ROM.  ["Darn well about time,"
I said.]

It turns out that On-Line has released a Novell 286 VAP supporting
CD-ROM drives.  I don't have all of the marketing details in front of
me, so you'll have to post or mail a reply if you'd like me to dig it
up.  On-Line also confirmed that they are working on a Novell 386 NLM
and should be ready to release it within the next couple of months.  I
have no idea if they are still on schedule....

Disclaimer: I don't represent any of the companies I've mentioned
except my own (and barely that!).  I'm just a satisfied reviewer for
our internal purposes.

						-Scott
---
  Scott Fritchie, 4810 Underwood Ave., Omaha, NE 68132-2420 USA  402.553.4084
     Government Services, American Express's Integrated Marketing Services
 Play: fritchie@acc.stolaf.edu  ..!umn-cs!stolaf!fritchie  Work: 402.498.2124
   "Yeah, boss, I'll be in late today.  UNIX refuses to boot on my Ford."

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (12/13/90)

> In article <ADYER.90Dec3095400@milo.wyse.com> adyer@milo.wyse.com (Andrew Dyer x2446) writes:
>
>    We have an Amdek LaserDek CD-ROM drive, and we would like to connect
>    it to our Novell server so that the drive can be accessed by all of
>    the client machines.  We are running version 2.15.  Has anyone
>    successfully done this?  If so, how much did it cost?  Was any custom
>    software required?

Map Assist from Fresh Solutions allows you to put a CD ROM drive on one of the
workstations (non-dedicated) and have other machines on the network map to it.
The only problem is if your software checks to see that the CD ROM drivers
are loaded.

Hope this helps

Peter S.