[comp.sys.novell] Backup security

dbielik@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (12/13/90)

In article <878@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:
>In the discussions about backing up so far, I think one security issue has been
>overlooked:  If a TSR or otherwise logs in at 1am, you either need to give it
>a password and leave this in the batch file (unless you write a special program
>and hard code the password), or not have a password.  By not having a password,
>which is the option I have seen used before, even if you make a backup script
>ctrl-c safe, you can still attach to the server with supervisor rights.
>
>The end question from this: is it possible to disable ATTACHing to an account?

Mark, what I was thinking of doing was only allowing logging in at 1am with no
password.  If the account breaks out, then the script will log the a/c out.

Someone would have to be in the office at 1am to attach to the account, because
of the account restrictions.  Also, if I limit consoles to the NDFS console,
then I have improved security even more.

I trust the people who lock the place up at night.  That might just be the most
important factor.  Like I said, they could napalm the file server.

* Danny Bielik                                  J U S T                       *
* dbielik@mqccsuna.mqcs.mq.oz.au                         S A Y                *
* Macquarie University - Sydney Australia                        N O ! !      *
* Phone (W) +61-2-212-6699 Fax +61-2-281-7394                                 *