[comp.sys.novell] News-type program for Novell networks?

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (12/06/90)

I've asked a couple of times in the past for a News type program which runs on
Novell networ{s, but haven't had much in the way of responses, except that
others are also interested. I'd like to have the features of Internet News
available in a Novell environment to encourage local discussion on various
matters (eg. network matters, DOS, MS Windows, curriculum matters, etc). I don't
need Internet access, just the same facilities locally. It needs to have the
ability to support multiple threads of conversation, and have a reasonably easy
to use interface (although this would have to be the lowest priority at the
moment). Any ideas?
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |

nenaas@ulrik.uio.no (Nils-Eivind Naas) (12/06/90)

If what you want is a local conferencing system, there is the program called
Brainstorm, by Mustang Software.
According to my brochure, it has a pull-down menu interface, open and closed
conferences, and electronic mail. An MHS-based version is to be available
later. We are considering it ourselves, but have not bought it yet.

Contact :

Mustang Software Inc.

P.O. Box 2264
Bakersfield, CA 93303
Telephone : (805)395-0223
BBS : (805)395-0650
FAX : (805)395-0713

All usual disclaimers apply
Nils-Eivind Naas
ISAF, Oslo, Norway                      * nen%isafhp.uucp@nac

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (12/07/90)

There is a pub dom/shareware novell e-mail system around that will have
a bulletin board feature.  The product is "PMAIL" short for Pegasus Mail.

I can dig up the address for FTP if folks want it.  I ran an early release
and it was realy great.  A top notch mail product.

...will have = next release coming soon.

jamesp@world.std.com     "Reality is not an industry standard"

wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler) (12/11/90)

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:

>I've asked a couple of times in the past for a News type program which runs on
>Novell networ{s, but haven't had much in the way of responses, except that
>others are also interested. I'd like to have the features of Internet News
>available in a Novell environment to encourage local discussion on various
>matters (eg. network matters, DOS, MS Windows, curriculum matters, etc). I don't
>Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au

I have been using Word Perfect Office to sort of achieve a newsgroup.  I
created a user and then told everyone to get into that users mail for
any mail they would be sending for our committee.  Everyone can see
every note sent.  It is also easily accessable from inside WPO.
Kludgy.  But it works.

*Will Sadler		Indiana University Law School-Bloomington    *
*will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu	wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu       *

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/11/90)

There are several electronic mail programs for use on LANs available
via anonymous FTP from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].  I did not
edit this list because there are other utilities you may also find of
interest for Novell applications.

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.LAN>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
3COM.ARC      B    8880  891005  3COM 503 Ethernet driver for MS X-windows
CHAT207.ZIP   B   22579  900921  On-line chat pgm for two Novell LAN users
CMAIL24.ZIP   B  134488  901204  Electronic mail agent pgm for use on any LAN
DVNOVELL.ARC  B    5677  900119  Using DESQview and a Novell network
EASY-NET.ARC  B  150797  881002  EasyNet RS-232 Mini-LAN (2 user)
EZMAIL2.ZIP   B  175907  901208  PC-based e-mail system for use w/Unix & PC-NFS
GETOID.ZIP    B    9306  900826  Return Novell Netware object ID for users etc.
LANBENCH.ARC  B   25073  880906  Benchmarks for LANs
LANTL124.ZIP  B   85203  900719  NETBIOS utility/TSR to send/receive messages
LANTTECH.ZIP  B   11872  900714  Technical notes on LANtastic for programmers
LOCK.ZIP      B   13103  900826  Simple network single application lock
MAIL.ZIP      B   26255  900826  Simple mail for Netware with delay send option
NBSAMP.ARC    B   34816  881021  NETBIOS send/rcv/test w/C source
NETCALL.ARC   B   10779  891016  Lantastic NetBIOS interface for TurboPascal4/5
NETLIS13.ZIP  B   45716  900612  Quick search/scan/stats for NetBIOS networks
NETTALK.ZIP   B   18512  900826  User talk/chat utility for Novell Netware
NOVELMON.ARC  B   48577  890408  Monitor area on a Novell network for files
PARTNR50.ARC  B   57434  890915  Simple restricted version RS-232 mini network
PCWATCH.UPD   A    4135  870415  Update information on PCWATCH program
PLANNER.ARC   B  186984  870411  Menu Driver Spreadsheet Program
QREV1.ARC     B    7001  870820  LAN remote batch processing
TECH3.ZIP     B   15384  900925  Technical ref manual for Lantastic v3.0 and up
TESTFILE.ZIP  B   14223  900826  Test files access in many modes. Good net tool
TRTOOL02.ZIP  B   28400  900621  See all connected adapters on a Token-Ring
WDPOST.ARC    B  255764  880628  Drivers for Western Digital LAN boards
WIZLINK.ARC   B   61044  880614  RS-232 file transfer  -  like Lap-Link
ZIP143.ZIP    B   18315  900411  115K bps PC-to-PC serial file transfers!

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

manoj@ca.excelan.com (manoj @ Mail Prod Mktg) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec7.014938.11847@world.std.com>, jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) writes:
> There is a pub dom/shareware novell e-mail system around that will have
> a bulletin board feature.  The product is "PMAIL" short for Pegasus Mail.

I am looking to see the internet audience interested in MHS based applications
and also to survey if any of you are using native MHS applications. If so,
which ones and how do they stand.

Please reply direct to me and I will summarise.
+------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+
|  |\/\/\/|                                            | manoj goel        |
|  |      |   "Hey Dude, Don't have a cow!"            | Product Marketing |
|  | (o)(o)                - Bart                      | 408 473 8369      |
|  |     _)                                            | 408 433 0775 fax  |
|  |   /      InterNet: manoj@novell.COM				   |
| /____\      USmail: 2222 Trade Zone Blvd., San Jose, CA 95131            |

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton) (12/12/90)

Roger Hadgraft writes:

I've asked a couple of times in the past for a News type program which runs on
Novell networ{s, but haven't had much in the way of responses, except that
others are also interested. I'd like to have the features of Internet News
available in a Novell environment to encourage local discussion on various
matters (eg. network matters, DOS, MS Windows, curriculum matters, etc). I don't
need Internet access, just the same facilities locally. It needs to have the
ability to support multiple threads of conversation, and have a reasonably easy
to use interface (although this would have to be the lowest priority at the
moment). Any ideas?

==== My Reply ====

Roger, How about getting FSUUCP?  I have experimented with it, and found that
it will play in a NOVELL environment, and if you put the SPOOL directory and
stuff onto a server drive, and allow users to set up envirnoment variables etc
on each of their machines, to access the stuff. It has a very nice "RN" style
user interface to it's readnews program. it also has postnews, and mail support
although the mail would probably be cleartext and acessable by all. (maybe not)

Email me for more info, and  I can put you in touch with FSUUCP's author!

Ed Felton
felton@eng3.sci.com

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (12/12/90)

I've never used it, but what about Lotus Notes? It sounds like it can do
exactly what you want. In fact, it sounds an awful lot like a slicker news
with more advnaced data typing, on a slightly smaller scale. (It doesn't
seem like it could cope with 15MB new news per day- though I don't know
for sure.)

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (12/13/90)

>but what about Lotus Notes? It sounds like it can do exactly what you want...

Sure, at $67,000?

Milan
.

w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (12/13/90)

In addition to the programs I listed in my previous posting, SIMTEL20
now has this new file in the pd1:<msdos.lan> directory:

PCNEWS.ZIP      Read Usenet news on local or PC-NFS filesystem

I don't know if it's suitable for use on Novell but it is worth
a review.  Now that the KA9Q TCP/IP package does nntp it may be
possible to use the two together.

Keith
--

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec12.113504.17370@panix.uucp> alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>I've never used it, but what about Lotus Notes? It sounds like it can do
>exactly what you want. In fact, it sounds an awful lot like a slicker news
>with more advnaced data typing, on a slightly smaller scale. (It doesn't
>seem like it could cope with 15MB new news per day- though I don't know
>for sure.)

Yeah but most people don't need 100 copies at a starting price of I believe
around $100,000 dollars.  I really can't remember the price except that it
is quite outrageous and requires you to buy quite a few copies.

Chris