[comp.sys.novell] standard mail file format

mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) (12/17/90)

It seems there are a multitude of mail file formats floating around the world.
Might I make a humble suggestion:- why not make a standard mail file format?
On UNIX, there is standard format which all mailers use.  Could we, as a pretty
large group of Novell programmers, administrators and users perhaps stick to
one mail format?  Then if we use different mail utilities, they will all still
work.  I'm sure any extras like encryption could be added on top.  With more and
more mail packages being developed and Novell and other MSDOS networks becoming
more popular, it would make life easier for all of us.
My suggestion is to stick to the internet format 'cause we're now starting to
see internet mail being dropped onto the MSDOS networks.

Comments, suggestions....

Cheers,
+Mark

 Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist
 email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory
 Phone: At MacUni: (61 2) 805-8592  / \      Macquarie University, Australia
 Fax  :          : (61 2) 805-7433   |   This one goes up to 11.....
--

9531sons@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini) (12/18/90)

In article <905@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>It seems there are a multitude of mail file formats floating around the world.
>Might I make a humble suggestion:- why not make a standard mail file format?
>On UNIX, there is standard format which all mailers use.  Could we, as a pretty
>large group of Novell programmers, administrators and users perhaps stick to
>one mail format?  Then if we use different mail utilities, they will all still
>work.  I'm sure any extras like encryption could be added on top.  With more and
>more mail packages being developed and Novell and other MSDOS networks becoming
>more popular, it would make life easier for all of us.
>My suggestion is to stick to the internet format 'cause we're now starting to
>see internet mail being dropped onto the MSDOS networks.

>Comments, suggestions....

>Cheers,
>+Mark

Mark - The Unix (or Internet) mail format is actually defined as RFC822
format (I think I have the number correct) and is used by many (most?) mail
systems around the world.  Certainly prompting vendors of e'mail for
Novell networks to adhere to these international standards would be a
step in the right direction.

					Jamie Sonsini
					UC Santa Barbara

dbielik@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (12/18/90)

In article <905@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>It seems there are a multitude of mail file formats floating around the world.
>Might I make a humble suggestion:- why not make a standard mail file format?

Mark, I think that you will find that the great majority of people who use and
install Novell networks are NOT on internet.  From my own experience, they
are the usual batch of computer salesmen/women who have their head stuck
firmly in the backside of MS-DOS.

Unfortunate, but true...these are the people who create the direction of the
computer world.  Not a wonder the great majority of PC's are still those
monolithic hulks (all bus but no OS).

* Danny Bielik                                  J U S T                       *
* dbielik@mqccsuna.mqcs.mq.oz.au                         S A Y                *
* Macquarie University - Sydney Australia                        N O ! !      *
* Phone (W) +61-2-212-6699 Fax +61-2-281-7394                                 *

rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) (12/18/90)

In article <905@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:

>It seems there are a multitude of mail file formats floating around the world.
>Might I make a humble suggestion:- why not make a standard mail file format?
>On UNIX, there is standard format which all mailers use.  Could we, as a pretty
>large group of Novell programmers, administrators and users perhaps stick to
>one mail format?  Then if we use different mail utilities, they will all still
>work.  I'm sure any extras like encryption could be added on top.  With more and
>more mail packages being developed and Novell and other MSDOS networks becoming
>more popular, it would make life easier for all of us.
>My suggestion is to stick to the internet format 'cause we're now starting to
>see internet mail being dropped onto the MSDOS networks.
>
>Comments, suggestions....
>
>Cheers,
>+Mark
>
> Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist
> email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory
> Phone: At MacUni: (61 2) 805-8592  / \      Macquarie University, Australia
> Fax  :          : (61 2) 805-7433   |   This one goes up to 11.....
>--
> Mark Allsop                                              Computer Scientist
> email: mallsop@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au                The Statistical Laboratory
> Phone: At MacUni: (61 2) 805-8592  / \      Macquarie University, Australia
> Fax  :          : (61 2) 805-7433   |   This one goes up to 11.....

	i second this.

mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) (12/19/90)

In article <912@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> dbielik@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) writes:
>In article <905@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:
>>
>>It seems there are a multitude of mail file formats floating around the world.
>>Might I make a humble suggestion:- why not make a standard mail file format?
>
>Mark, I think that you will find that the great majority of people who use and
>install Novell networks are NOT on internet.  From my own experience, they
>are the usual batch of computer salesmen/women who have their head stuck
>firmly in the backside of MS-DOS.

Danny, the point is not whether people are on the internet or not.  If you are
using one mail system in your organisation and another better one comes along,
you can't change smothly unless you have the same mail file format.
Also, if you have two networks using different mail systems, they can't mail
to each other easily unless the same mail file format and naming convention
is used.

An advantage of using the internet mail file format is people can then more
easily connect Novell networks to the internet.

There are very good reasons for using the same format even without considering
the internet.  I just hope people writing the mail software will work towards
a standard.

Cheers & Merry Christmas,

dbielik@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (12/19/90)

In article <921@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> mallsop@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Mark Allsop) writes:
>Danny, the point is not whether people are on the internet or not.  If you are
>using one mail system in your organisation and another better one comes along,
>you can't change smothly unless you have the same mail file format.
>Also, if you have two networks using different mail systems, they can't mail
>to each other easily unless the same mail file format and naming convention
>is used.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.  I'm just saying that where the users and
developers are concerned, they will not see the advantages of adopting the
Internet format, since they probably have never heard of it.

>There are very good reasons for using the same format even without considering
>the internet.  I just hope people writing the mail software will work towards
>a standard.

Granted...but they rarely take these factors into consideration.  Look at the
proliferation of all the different paint program formats.  It took something
like the Amiga and GIF from CIS to show them all how stupid the different
formats are (and how limiting).

>Cheers & Merry Christmas,
>+Mark.

And you!  Happy Chanuka (which ended last night, BTW).