[comp.sys.novell] Need info on NOVELL LANS on IBM "Clones"

matt@unixland.uucp (Matt Harvey) (12/10/90)

Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
need to run on "real IBM" hardware?  A sales rep has indicated
that we need to purchase IBM hardware in order to utilize NOVELL
networking.  Is this true?  If not, what clones will NOVELL work
properly with?

edgincd2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Chris Edgington *Computer Science Major*) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec9.210208.12136@unixland.uucp>, matt@unixland.uucp (Matt Harvey) writes:
> Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
> need to run on "real IBM" hardware?  A sales rep has indicated
> that we need to purchase IBM hardware in order to utilize NOVELL
> networking.  Is this true?  If not, what clones will NOVELL work
> properly with?

NO! NO! NO!  Many clones, ie: Compaq, Leading Technology, and many others
have been specifically approved by Novell as perfectly capable of running a
Novell LAN.  This summer I installed three different LANs with Novell '286
2.15c and Compaq computers and three on IBM computers, and that ones on
the Compaqs gave alot less problems [hardware related] than the IBMs.

Chris Edgington
SE, Beckley Computer Center
CS student at Purdue University

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (12/10/90)

> In article <1990Dec9.210208.12136@unixland.uucp>, matt@unixland.uucp (Matt Harvey) writes:
>> Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
>> need to run on "real IBM" hardware?  A sales rep has indicated
>> that we need to purchase IBM hardware in order to utilize NOVELL
>> networking.  Is this true?  If not, what clones will NOVELL work
>> properly with?

We have a Novell Advanced Netware system here running on a Unisys server and a
variety of clone workstations.  The only problems we had were finding spare
IRQ lines and I/O address space for the ethernet cards.

I'd say it's time you found a new sales rep.

Peter Summers

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (12/10/90)

Very few pc clones DO NOT work on Novell systems.  File servers are
*MUCH* picker than work stations though.

If you are using someone else's dos (other than ms-dos or pc-dos)
you need to set a few variables in the workstation shell file to make
it walk and talk as an ibm.  Zenith is the prime example with their own
version of pc-dos.  no big deal just something to remember.

jamesp@world.std.com

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (12/10/90)

matt@unixland.uucp (Matt Harvey) writes:

>Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
>need to run on "real IBM" hardware?  A sales rep has indicated
>that we need to purchase IBM hardware in order to utilize NOVELL
>networking.  Is this true?  If not, what clones will NOVELL work
>properly with?

Compaq, Samsung, and all the others who have agreements/deals with Novell
are going to a little upset to find that their kit apparently won't work
with Novell.......

Come to think of it, Intel, Hewlett Packard, Unisys, Epson, Zenith, Wang,
Televideo, Tandy, NEC, CSS Labs, Acer, Olivetti, Mitsubishi, Panasonic,
Wyse, Dell, Arche, AST, AT&T, Harris, Goldstar, Memorex Telex and a few
others who have been Novell-certified are going to get worried as well.

This is just a sample from the Novell IMSP bulletin range - ask your
dealer to see the full list.

--
+------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+
|    DISCLAIMER: Nothing Is True (except this)   |     Martin O'Nions    |

tmunro@ccs.carleton.ca (Tim Munro) (12/10/90)

(Matt Harvey) writes:
 >Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
 >need to run on "real IBM" hardware? Is this true? If not, what clones
 >will NOVELL work properly with?

	We use home grown AT's and 386's for our file servers. Lately
we have been using Magus mother boards and memory cards. The run just
wonderfully.

Tim

--
tmunro@ccs.carleton.ca
Voice:(613) 788-3722  Fax:(613) 788-4448

nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (nathan engle) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec9.210208.12136@unixland.uucp> matt@unixland.uucp (Matt Harvey) writes:
>Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
>need to run on "real IBM" hardware?  A sales rep has indicated
>that we need to purchase IBM hardware in order to utilize NOVELL
>networking.  Is this true?  If not, what clones will NOVELL work
>properly with?

  What a bunch of hooey! I think that what the sales rep was actually
trying to say was "I get a higher commission on IBM equipment due to the
higher prices, so please buy IBM."

  In our department we run 2 Compuadd 386's as servers and have dozens
of PC's of all sizes, shapes and colors, some of which is even true blue
IBM. No glitches or burps.

  My recommendation: get a sales rep who won't pull your leg like that.

Nathan Engle             Software Evangelist
Indiana University       Dept of Psychology
nengle@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

dbielik@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec9.210208.12136@unixland.uucp> matt@unixland.uucp (Matt Harvey) writes:
>Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
>need to run on "real IBM" hardware?  A sales rep has indicated
>that we need to purchase IBM hardware in order to utilize NOVELL
>networking.  Is this true?  If not, what clones will NOVELL work
>properly with?

WE use one's built across the road from us and they all work perfectly.  These
computers are just built out of parts you can buy anywhere in Taiwan and
chucked together, so there is certainly nothing special about them.

Novell never complains.  Find a salesman who know's what he/she's talking
about, because you have to rely on these people for a long time for service
and support, adn if they have no idea what they're talking about, you lose.

What do you have when there's a computer salesman up to his neck in concrete?

---Not enough concrete!

* Danny Bielik                                  J U S T                       *
* dbielik@mqccsuna.mqcs.mq.oz.au                         S A Y                *
* Macquarie University - Sydney Australia                        N O ! !      *
* Phone (W) +61-2-212-6699 Fax +61-2-281-7394                                 *

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec10.141744.27177@ccs.carleton.ca> tmunro@ccs.carleton.ca (Tim Munro) writes:
>In article <1990Dec9.210208.12136@unixland.uucp> matt@unixland.uucp
>(Matt Harvey) writes:
> >Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they
> >need to run on "real IBM" hardware? Is this true? If not, what clones
> >will NOVELL work properly with?
>
>	We use home grown AT's and 386's for our file servers. Lately
>we have been using Magus mother boards and memory cards. The run just
>wonderfully.

As you might guess, all of our PCs and the file server are Intel boxes.
They work just fine.

Basically, you can use just about any PC for a workstation (just watch out
for configuration problems with varieties of DOS).  Novell tests machines
to give them an accreditation that they are suitable for NetWare.  Having to
purchase "real IBM" hardware is a crock.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (12/20/90)

matt@unixland.uucp (Matt Harvey) writes:

>Will NOVELL networks work properly on non-ibm machines, or do they

YES

>need to run on "real IBM" hardware?  A sales rep has indicated
>that we need to purchase IBM hardware in order to utilize NOVELL
>networking.  Is this true?

NO  he's lying and trying to up his margins.

>If not, what clones will NOVELL work properly with?

I haven't run into any that it won't work with.  Obviously,
this is an issue of ** how compatible is it? **.

--
Lyle                  Wang           lws@capybara.comm.wang.com
508 967 2322     Lowell, MA, USA     Source code: the _ultimate_ documentation.