[comp.sys.novell] network printing

castillo@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Brian Anderson) (12/13/90)

I'm somewhat confused as to how to set up network printing.  I'm running
Advanced Netware 286 version 2.15C and the problem relates to the
autoexec.sys file on the server.  What I'd like to do is:

Queue:

ADMIN----------\
(priority 1)    \
                 >-------->PRINTER
                /          (Hp laserjet IIP on LPT1:)
PRINTQ_0-------/
(priority 3)

I've created the 2 queues using pconsole and I added the line
	#capture Q=PRINTQ_0 NB NFF or
	#capture Q=ADMIN NB NFF
to each users personal login script as required.  What has me mystified
is how to best set up the autoexec.sys file.  Just how many spoolers do
I need?  Is it one per printer?  What should I do about creating queues
using the Q create command (especially since they've already been
created and given access restrictions via pconsole)?  I just want to
have these 2 queues feed the laserjet at the given priorities, nothing
particularly sophisticated.

--
"make lots of money", "enjoy the work", "operate within the law":  pick any 2
Brian Anderson                    | "It's hard to work in a group when you're

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (12/21/90)

In article <4482@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> castillo@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Brian Anderson) writes:
>I'm somewhat confused as to how to set up network printing.  I'm running
>Advanced Netware 286 version 2.15C and the problem relates to the
>autoexec.sys file on the server.  What I'd like to do is:
>
>Queue:
>
>ADMIN----------\
>(priority 1)    \
>                 >-------->PRINTER
>                /          (Hp laserjet IIP on LPT1:)
>PRINTQ_0-------/
>(priority 3)
>
>I've created the 2 queues using pconsole and I added the line
>	#capture Q=PRINTQ_0 NB NFF or
>	#capture Q=ADMIN NB NFF
>to each users personal login script as required.  What has me mystified
>is how to best set up the autoexec.sys file.  Just how many spoolers do
>I need?  Is it one per printer?  What should I do about creating queues
>using the Q create command (especially since they've already been
>created and given access restrictions via pconsole)?  I just want to
>have these 2 queues feed the laserjet at the given priorities, nothing
>particularly sophisticated.

Spoolers are a 2.0a and previous version compatability fix.  You don't need
them if you are strictly a 2.15 shop.  All you need to do is to place the
command P 0 add PRINTQ_0 and p 0 add ADMIN to your autoexec.sys file.  Yo
    I assume your HP is connected to P 0?

    There is a good explanation in the syscon portion of the supervisor
    reference.  It is through syscon that you modify the print queues.

Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook