[comp.sys.novell] Hot Fix Disabled!!!

mtidgewell@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/15/90)

I need some input on a Novell problem.  I have a file server running SFT 2.25c,
some MFM drives, a SCSI controller(WD7000FASST/Otrack VADD 2.0) connected to a
CDC Wren-Runner(320M Formatted), NE-2000, Ominet, NL-1000(Apppletalk) all with
a WD-M20 motherboard.  Everything works fine for a while(2-3 days).  Then all
the sudden the Hot-fix gets shut off for the SCSI drive.  There are usally few
or no I/O errors on the channel.  We can continue running the drive with no
trouble.  I asked around and everyone tells me it's a MAJOR problem and the
drive is going to die any second, but it keeps on running.  I've run Ontrack/N
on it and it always scans clean.  I've been told to run Compsurf on it instead
of Ontrack, but I haven't be able to convinse the users to give it up fot 36+
hours nessesary.  They been running without hot fixes for 4 weeks now.  Any
help with this problem would be greatly appriciated.

			Matt
			MTIDGEWELL@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

d4umf@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Forsberg) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec14.130409.36812@eagle.wesleyan.edu> mtidgewell@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>I need some input on a Novell problem.  I have a file server running SFT 2.25c,
>some MFM drives, a SCSI controller(WD7000FASST/Otrack VADD 2.0) connected to a

	I have had some serious problems with the WD7000 card, even with
	help from the distributor we couldn't make it right. So instead
	we switched to ADAPTEC AHA154X cards and their novell driver.
	Now everything works just fine.

>CDC Wren-Runner(320M Formatted), NE-2000, Ominet, NL-1000(Apppletalk) all with
>a WD-M20 motherboard.  Everything works fine for a while(2-3 days).  Then all
>the sudden the Hot-fix gets shut off for the SCSI drive.  There are usally few
>or no I/O errors on the channel.  We can continue running the drive with no

	Even a few I/O errors should make you suspicious of the hardware,
	ie. the WD7000 card.

>trouble.  I asked around and everyone tells me it's a MAJOR problem and the
>drive is going to die any second, but it keeps on running.  I've run Ontrack/N
>on it and it always scans clean.  I've been told to run Compsurf on it instead

	Also using Ontracks programs seems to be a big mistake, nothing
	is up to a real CompSurf. Try running i with Just formatting
	switched on, since you are using a WREN disc you shouldn't need
	any more, you could try to run it with just one pass of testing.
	The WREN disc has it's own error correction. With the Adaptec
	card you can turn on Write Verify on the card itself as one more
	security.

>of Ontrack, but I haven't be able to convinse the users to give it up fot 36+
>hours nessesary.  They been running without hot fixes for 4 weeks now.  Any
>help with this problem would be greatly appriciated.
>
>			Matt
>			MTIDGEWELL@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

	I have no connection whatsoever with Adaptec, I'm just a happy
	user of their products.

	d4umf@dtek.chalmers.se

	Martin Forsberg

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (12/21/90)

There are some known problems with mixing drives and controllers
what exactly is the model drive (wren II, V, etc.) and what kind
of disk controller are your using?
Ken

Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook