[comp.sys.novell] Problems getting Logitech mice to work on our LAN

jkossoy@irscscm.UUCP (Jeff Kossoy) (12/15/90)

HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Now that I have your attention, My office just had a Novell LAN installed,
and we are having problems getting our mice to work (we are still learning how
to use it :)).

Our LAN consists of:
  Cabletron Ethernet boards in all connected PC's
  Novell Adv. Netware 286 V2.15 Rev. C
  Novell Shell Driver v1.03.00

The mice are all Logitech bus mice.

The PC's vary. They include AT&T, NCR, IBM-AT, Wyse PC's.

Any suggestions or solutions if you've had this problem also, please e-mail
me direct, as I don't get a chance to read this newsgroup as much as I should.
If a solution is found or not found as the case may be, I will post a summary
with all those who contributed to my offices learning.

                        Jeff Kossoy

P.S.: My UUCP address is jkossoy@irscscm.UUCP
| These are my opinions only, and not those of my employer.       |
|  Jeff Kossoy                                                    |

jkossoy@irscscm.UUCP (Jeff Kossoy) (12/17/90)

HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Sorry for the repost, but I forgot to give you my Internet address, and also
a few things that I have already tried.

Now that I have your attention, My office just had a Novell LAN installed,
and we are having problems getting our mice to work (we are still learning how
to use it :)).

Our LAN consists of:
  Cabletron Ethernet boards in all connected PC's
  Novell Adv. Netware 286 V2.15 Rev. C
  Novell Shell Driver v1.03.00

The mice are all Logitech bus mice.

The PC's vary. They include AT&T, NCR, IBM-AT, Wyse PC's.

The things that I have done have been to change the interrupt on both the
mouse board and the ethernet card (including the software to run the card).
I did check to see if the mouse board was ok by removing the ethernet card.

Any suggestions or solutions if you've had this problem also, please e-mail
me direct, as I don't get a chance to read this newsgroup as much as I should.
If a solution is found or not found as the case may be, I will post a summary
with all those who contributed to my offices learning.

                        Jeff Kossoy

My UUCP address is: jkossoy@irscscm.UUCP
My Internet address is: ...!uunet!media!ka3vk!irscscm!jkossoy

jkossoy@irscscm.UUCP (Jeff Kossoy) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec17.154533.9187@irscscm.UUCP> jkossoy@irscscm.UUCP (Jeff Kossoy) writes:
HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!HELP!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!
{rest is deleted}

This is a followup to my original subject. I've received a few responses from
this post, and I've tried every one of them (they all said the pretty much the
same thing:)). This is a list of things that I've already tried from the

      Result -- Successful load and test of mouse.

2) Changing IRQ on the mouse board to one of the other positions (tried 2 - 5)
      Result -- Failed trying to load mouse.com (system locked-up).

3) Changing IRQ on the Ethernet card.
      Result -- Failed same as 2. (Modified software to recognize new IRQ)

4) Putting mouse.sys in the config.sys file as a device.
      Result -- Failed loading mouse.sys (this was tried before and after

If you have any more ideas please e-mail me at jkossoy@irscscm.UUCP or
..!uunet!media!ka3vk!irscscm!jkossoy.

                       Thanks,
                             Jeff

| These are my opinions only, and not those of my employer.       |
|  Jeff Kossoy                                                    |

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (12/21/90)

We have been using logitech, and various other rodents on our PCs
for what seems like a long time.  The trick to getting these
cards (I assume the logitech mouse is a bus mouse) to work together
is to make sure you aren't attempting to use an interrupt that is
already in use.  The logitech mouse card allows several options
as does your lan card, but you must coordinate their use of the IRQ
(interupt) lines.

Ken
Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (12/22/90)

This is an interaction between the mouse card and the ethernet card.  Here's
what you do. Find out what I/O ports your mouse card and ethernet card use.
Cards communicate with the rest of the PC through IRQs, I/O ports and
memory addresses.  Not all cards use all of the above but all will use
at least some. Oh yea, I forgot they also use DMA but I doubt if the mouse
is using DMA.  Get all the information you can about what IRQs, and I/O
ports your using on each one of the cards, not just the mouse and ethernet
cards. LPT ports and COM ports use these things too. Make sure that none
of the IRQs are shared, nor any of the I/O ports.  A program like CHECKIT
will tell you what IRQs are currently being used.  Consult your documentation
on all the cards and write down what each card is currently using, and is
capable of using.  Figure out a combination where none of the cards are
attempting to use any other cards IRQ or I/O or DMA or whatever.  Be warned
there may not be a workable solution!  If you are using 8 bit ethernet cards
they will not have the upper IRQ capability of ATs or AT bus class machines.
You will have to get 16 bit cards with more options if you run out of
options.  Good Luck!  If you need additional help you can call me at
(503) 627-0149.