[comp.sys.novell] Netware 3.1 Woes!

ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu (Alex Jauch) (12/20/90)

I have recently upgraded my server (PS/2 Model 80) from 3.0 to 3.1.  Very
easy!  I am quite pleased with the way that works.  However, when I created
new IPX and NET4 (and EMSNET4 and XMSNET4) I started having problems.  First
I thought I had WordPerfect Office problems because that starting freezing
up on me and corrupting files.  However, it soon spread.  Basically I find
that the new IPX is not stable.  When I use my old IPX and EMSNET4 it seems
to work fine.  My question is: 1) Is this caused by different versions of
IPX on the network? or 2) Am I doing something wrong? and 3) Can I just run
the old IPX and the new (EMS/XMS)NET4?

Another problem.  I am trying to set up a remote printer.  What I did was
to create two Queue's and assign printer 0 to service one and printer 1 (the
remote printer) to service the other.  What happens is that the printer
server sends jobs to either printer almost at random.  The console screen
shows Queue 1 printing on printer 1 even though printer 1 is not set to service
that Queue according to PConsole.  So, I thought I would outsmart Netware and
created a new print server.  I set up an old XT and ran Pserver on it.  This
seemed to solve the random printing problem, but now I only got about 1
character per minute!  Is pserver too demanding to run on an XT?  I would
hate to have to use up a perfectly good 286 just to service a printer.

Any ideas?  Novell?  Since this is "novell's group" how about some input?

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*

yetsko@interlan.interlan.com (Mike Yetsko) (12/20/90)

Well, if you want info, consider giving info.  What hardware, what IPX
versions, what NETx versions?

Novell just went through a series of rapid updates to the IPX.OBJ file
you link to, and NETx just went up to.  I have 3.01 Rev E on my
NETx, but I'm still at rev A on the IPX file.

If you want to find out what they are, type IPX I and NETx I and it will
tell you.  Also what card, and rev driver.

Mike Yetsko

ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu (Alex Jauch) (12/21/90)

As per a request from the net here are the gritty details of my setup.

We have a 4Mb Token-Ring serving 39 stations.  The server is a PS/2 80
with a 200Mb SCSI drive.  I have tried this on a couple of work stations,
a PS/2 55sx, 60 and 65sx.  All are running the exact same software.  We have
IPX v3.01 Rev B; NET4 V3.01 Rev B; IBM LAN Support Program V1.02.  IPX is
using IBM Token-Ring v2.50.  All the other stations in the office are
running IPX v2.15 Rev B.

My question remains:  Are the different versions of IPX on my network causing
my new stations to loose their connection with the server?

Thanks in advance for any info.

--

marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (12/21/90)

In article <2770E73E.660@orion.oac.uci.edu> ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu (Alex Jauch) writes:
>As per a request from the net here are the gritty details of my setup.
>
>We have a 4Mb Token-Ring serving 39 stations.  The server is a PS/2 80
>with a 200Mb SCSI drive.  I have tried this on a couple of work stations,
>a PS/2 55sx, 60 and 65sx.  All are running the exact same software.  We have
>IPX v3.01 Rev B; NET4 V3.01 Rev B; IBM LAN Support Program V1.02.  IPX is
>using IBM Token-Ring v2.50.  All the other stations in the office are
>running IPX v2.15 Rev B.
>
>My question remains:  Are the different versions of IPX on my network causing
>my new stations to loose their connection with the server?

In my experience, yes.  We had tons of problems when we changed network
cards on our server and in some of teh workstations because we didn't
upgrade all of the IPX drivers at the same time.  These problems were
reduced drastically when we completed the upgrade.

>Thanks in advance for any info.
>

>--
>Alex Jauch
>*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*
>*ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu        |world looks like a nail" -- Stolen          *

| Dave Walker, Detroit Art Services (DAS)                                |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) (12/21/90)

From reading the novell bboards on compuserve this evening, I gather that
there are significant problems with using the REV E shells, especially
EMSNET3 and in conjunction with using Paradox 3.5 and Quattro.  I would
stay with rev d for now.

 - Gary Chapman, NYU

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (12/22/90)

I got in on the tail end of this..... (sorry) What kind of server are
you using? 286 or 386?  NW version 286 or 386?  BTW are you running
3270 PCOX boards?  This sounds like a server buffer error or a
potential hardware conflict in the workstations.  Do you have a more
complete description of the server/workstation hardware/software
configuration?  You may have already posted it, like I say, I got in
on the tail....
Ken
Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook