[comp.sys.novell] Disk drive repair

rodeen@buddha.ncc.umn.edu (Rick Odeen) (12/18/90)

Does anyone have a sugestion as to where to get a disk drive repaired.
The drive is a Micropolis 1558-15 (382 meg) ESDI drive.  I've called several
places that have prices ranging from $225 to $750 and repair times ranging
from 5 to 30 days.  My main interest is getting the drive repaired fast
versus trying to save money (although I'm not opposed to saving money :-)

Any opinions or experiences, good or bad on various companies would
be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Rick Odeen                                    ...!rutgers!umn-cs!buddha!rodeen
Nutrition Coordinating Center                        rodeen@buddha.ncc.umn.edu

dbielik@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Danny Bielik) (12/18/90)

In article <1618@buddha.ncc.umn.edu> rodeen@buddha.ncc.umn.edu (Rick Odeen) writes:
>Does anyone have a sugestion as to where to get a disk drive repaired.
>The drive is a Micropolis 1558-15 (382 meg) ESDI drive.  I've called several
>places that have prices ranging from $225 to $750 and repair times ranging
>from 5 to 30 days.  My main interest is getting the drive repaired fast
>versus trying to save money (although I'm not opposed to saving money :-)

Hope you kept backups.  A good idea in future is to set up a mirror drive
on the file server.  This keeps an exact duplicate of the other drive, and
if one goes bust, the other just kicks in and takes over.  You can then
take the server down at night, remove the faulty drive, and the server
still works until you have the drive repaired.  A good idea to have the
mirror drive from another batch of drives, in case there is a problem in
all the drives in a batch, you may have both drives go down in a day or
so of each other.

* Danny Bielik                                  J U S T                       *
* dbielik@mqccsuna.mqcs.mq.oz.au                         S A Y                *
* Macquarie University - Sydney Australia                        N O ! !      *
* Phone (W) +61-2-212-6699 Fax +61-2-281-7394                                 *

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (12/22/90)

> In article <1618@buddha.ncc.umn.edu> rodeen@buddha.ncc.umn.edu (Rick Odeen) writes:
>>Does anyone have a sugestion as to where to get a disk drive repaired.
>>The drive is a Micropolis 1558-15 (382 meg) ESDI drive.  I've called several
>>places that have prices ranging from $225 to $750 and repair times ranging
>>from 5 to 30 days.  My main interest is getting the drive repaired fast
>>versus trying to save money (although I'm not opposed to saving money :-)

Buy the current issue of Computer Shopper.  You will find 6 or 20
advertisers who want to help you.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com