[comp.sys.novell] PSERVER and serial printers

rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) (12/21/90)

We have been trying to use PSERVER with a couple of IBM 3812 Pageprinters
which can only be connected to via a serial line. We have tried the NLM, VAP
and EXE versions and we cannot get RCONSOLE to "see" the printer. We had some
success with PSERVER.EXE running on the workstation to which the
printer was attached but we want to be able to use RPRINTER.

DOES PSERVER WORK WITH SERIAL PRINTERS??? We have now tried another serial
printer and it does not work either although parallel printers are fine.
Printing directly from DOS is not a problem when the printer is attached
locally.

Does anyone have a solution or hints? Novell Australia have run out of
suggestions and are not being very helpfull.

+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Owen Baker                   |  Communication Services Unit              |
|  rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au   |  RMIT - Victoria University of Technology |
|  (61) (3) 660-2038            |  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia           |
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (12/26/90)

In article <7211@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) writes:
>We have been trying to use PSERVER with a couple of IBM 3812 Pageprinters
>which can only be connected to via a serial line. We have tried the NLM, VAP
>and EXE versions and we cannot get RCONSOLE to "see" the printer. We had some
>success with PSERVER.EXE running on the workstation to which the

There is a report of a similar problem being fixed with a change to the
pinout between the PC and the printer.  This was done on a 3816 Pageprinter
so I don't know how closely related the two machines are.  Here is the fix:

1. PC pin 2 goes to pin 3 on the printer.
   PC pin 3 goes to pin 2 on the printer.
   PC pin 4 goes to pin 5 on the printer.
   PC pin 5 goes to pin 20 on the printer.
   PC pin 6 goes to pin 4 on the printer.
   PC pin 7 goes to pin 7 on the printer.
   PC pin 8 is jumpered to pin 4 on the printer <----- this I'm not sure what
   the report is trying to say....

   2. Also make sure Dip switch 6 is on.  Switch 6 asserts DTR. All others
   should be off except 1-3 which adjust your speed. <---- I assume this is
   referring to a switch on the printer...

   3. XOFF/XON was set to ON in Pconsole.

   This fix is supposed to make rprinter and pserver working together.

Good LUCK!

Ken
Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook