[comp.sys.novell] Macintosh with NetWare 386

ehaubach@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Edward Haubach) (12/21/90)

tom@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (Tom Gerace) writes:

>We will soon be installing a nice big server with Novell
>NetWare 386.  We have the need to attach an existing AppleTalk
>network to this server, but are unsure if this is possible
>with NetWare 386.

>Can this be done right now?

Unfortunately NetWare 386 does not yet support AppleTalk directly.  In
order for Macs to access Novell NetWare servers you must have a NetWare
2.15 server or bridge running the Mac VAPs.  The VAPs are necessary to
convert AppleTalk to NetWare.  Once a bridge or server has been set up
to run these VAPs any NetWare server, 286, 386, Portable, can be made
a "target server" and you can access that server from Mac clients.  These
VAPs come with Novell's NetWare For Macintosh product, which I assume you
can find at any Novell dealer.

If you do not have a 286 server or bridge I think you're SOL until
Novell comes out with a Macintosh NLM for its 386 servers.

averett@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) (12/21/90)

In article <645@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> ehaubach@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Edward Haubach) writes:

>tom@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (Tom Gerace) writes:
>
>>We will soon be installing a nice big server with Novell
>>NetWare 386.  We have the need to attach an existing AppleTalk
>>network to this server, but are unsure if this is possible
>>with NetWare 386.
>
>>Can this be done right now?

[a good summary, which further summarized comes down to "NO."]

>If you do not have a 286 server or bridge I think you're SOL until
>Novell comes out with a Macintosh NLM for its 386 servers.

I have been waiting for the Mac NLM since the advent of Netware 386.
We were told *really* that the NLM would be deliverable in Dec90, but
we have not been able to obtain even a beta copy.

In an article in PC_Week which I got today, they reviewed 3Com and
Novell's Mac "accomodations," and there was a reference in there to
the Mac NLM coming out "sometime in 1991."  NOT "sometime in the
{first, second, third} quarter of 1991," but just "sometime."  This,
I find disturbing.

Not only that, but I have been unable to find anyone from Novell who
can give me a real functional spec of what level of service(s) I can
expect from the Mac NLM in its interaction with the DOS (and TCP/IP)
NLMs.  This is to say, can I do messaging from any workstation to
another, like SEND (or say, talk on Unix)?  Is there any mailer
support provided, like a native smtp/mhs gateway?

Am I asking the wrong people, or are other people getting equally
damped/mixed signals about this (non-)product?

Shava Nerad Averett
UNC Radiology
shava@retina.rad.unc.edu
standard disclaimers apply

gregpf@momenta (Greg Presedo-Floyd) (12/22/90)

averett@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) writes:

(Regarding a "MACINTOSH NLM" and a tcp/ip NLM:)

>Am I asking the wrong people, or are other people getting equally
>damped/mixed signals about this (non-)product?

My "Novell Gold Certified" re-seller here in the bay area is also clueless.
And he *pays* Novell to get service/information.  Come on, Novell !
--
Greg Presedo-Floyd            "Representing myself, only"
Momenta Corporation

tecot@momenta (Ed Tecot) (12/22/90)

averett@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) writes:
>I have been waiting for the Mac NLM since the advent of Netware 386.
>We were told *really* that the NLM would be deliverable in Dec90, but
>we have not been able to obtain even a beta copy.

We have had the same experience.  My solution was to press Novell into
sending us a free copy of NetWare for Macintosh to "tide us over".
We had to use another PC for a bridge, but at least we could connect the
two networks.

See my other message in this newsgroup.

						_emt

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec22.000452.21312@momenta> gregpf@momenta (Greg Presedo-Floyd) writes:
>averett@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Shava Averett) writes:
>
>(Regarding a "MACINTOSH NLM" and a tcp/ip NLM:)
>
>>Am I asking the wrong people, or are other people getting equally
>>damped/mixed signals about this (non-)product?
>
>My "Novell Gold Certified" re-seller here in the bay area is also clueless.
>And he *pays* Novell to get service/information.  Come on, Novell !

The last word I received (and this was about 2 months ago) is that the
MAC.NLM and the NFS.NLM are both due out in Q1 '91, maybe earlier.  Of
course, they also said that NetWare for SAA will be out in Q1 '91 too.
My "Novell Platinum Dealer" can't get any reliable dates either.  They
can ask 4 different people at Novell and get 4 different dates.

A "real" date would be great!

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@isc.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693

douglas@wybbs.mi.org (Douglas Mason) (12/27/90)

>(Regarding a "MACINTOSH NLM" and a tcp/ip NLM:)

Consider this a "final word" from a truly unauthorized source.  I've seen
both products on a friend's desk.  This friend does the "dates" for release.

MAC.NLM as well as the tcp/ip NLM will be release during first quarter 1991.

He said that what this really means is that the Macintosh NLM will be released
late Jan, early February at latest.  TCP/IP will come around more to the tune
of late Feb, early March at the latest.

These are definate dates.  (Haven't we heard this before?)

-Doug

Douglas Mason | Network Administrator | ITM Corporation | Grand Rapids, Mich

brian@ca.excelan.com (Brian Meek) (12/29/90)

In article <582@wybbs.mi.org> douglas@wybbs.UUCP (Douglas Mason) writes:
>>(Regarding a "MACINTOSH NLM" and a tcp/ip NLM:)

[...]
>He said that what this really means is that the Macintosh NLM will be released
>late Jan, early February at latest.  TCP/IP will come around more to the tune
>of late Feb, early March at the latest.
>
>These are definate dates.  (Haven't we heard this before?)

Actually, they're not.  But I'm constrained from correcting them.  Sorry.

-- brian
         Brian Meek       Novell, Inc. - 2180 Fortune Dr. San Jose, CA 95131
Internet Mail: brian@novell.COM                        Phone: (408) 473-8375