[comp.sys.novell] Server Name / Syscon

wcc1@ra.MsState.Edu (Bill Chapman) (12/30/90)

We changed the name of our server (Netware 2.15) to "Lee.Housing" from
"server".  The manual said a period could not be the first character of
a server name, but we have several servers on campus with names in the
form of xxxx.yyyy, where xxxx is an identifier and yyyy is a department
name.

Syscon version 2.33 gives two "Can't create directory" messages saying
it can't create mail directories 1 and 2007 when run as supervisor.

Version 2.20d does not give the messages.  In either version, syscon
does run correctly after starting.  We may be the only server on campus
running version 2.33;  we are the only one with error messages.

I was told that Netware 3.xx manuals say that a period may not be part of
a server name, but we have no 3.xx users on campus.  It does appear that
the new name has something to do with the problem, since that is all we
changed.  We had no errors with the original name.

Anyone know how the server names are parsed in 2.33 and whether a period
makes a difference?  What do you suggest?

thanks.
Bill Chapman
wcc1@ra.msstate.edu
--
Bill Chapman	             |(601) 325-2042     |(601) 325-FAXX - fax
103 Lee Hall - Box 1262      |wcc1@Ra.MsState.Edu|

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (01/03/91)

In article <903@ra.MsState.Edu> wcc1@ra.MsState.Edu (Bill Chapman) writes:
>I was told that Netware 3.xx manuals say that a period may not be part of
>a server name, but we have no 3.xx users on campus.  It does appear that
>the new name has something to do with the problem, since that is all we
>changed.  We had no errors with the original name.

From "NetWare 386 System Administration" manual, June 1990 edition,
page 98:

	The name can have as many as 47 characters, but only 10 will
	show in any of the system messages.  Do not use spaces or any
	of the following characters:

It's unlikely that they'd add this restriction just for 3.xx, so i
assume it's merely documenting a previously existing (though possibly
undocumented) restriction.  Consequently, i recommend simply avoiding
these characters in your server names even though you have no 3.xx
servers.  Within Novell, we use dash (i.e., "-" ) where you use dot.
I've seen others use underbar.
					don provan
					donp@novell.com