[comp.sys.novell] File Service Packets...

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (12/06/90)

OK. The print server is working and I have a new project to work on. So!

Can anyone tell me what file service request packets, and their response look
like (ie fields, values etc).

Many thanks in advance..

|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

bdelvecc@kinetics.com (Brian Del Vecchio) (12/27/90)

In article <2437.275e0b97@waikato.ac.nz>, hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> Can anyone tell me what file service request packets, and their response look
> like (ie fields, values etc).

I believe that the packet structure is not published by Novell.  Instead,
the API is documented at the software interrupt level, and a C library
interface to the API is provided for DOS and OS/2 clients.  There is also
a Mac client API available, but I know less about it.

If you have a top-of-the-line LAN protocol analyzer like the Novell LANalyzer
or the Network General Sniffer, you can use this to decode NCP packets.
I think that with the combination of the API reference and the packet decodes
there is very little you can't figure out.
[----------------------------------------------------------------------------]
  brian del vecchio; software engineer; novell, inc.; walnut creek, ca, usa;
	"But for what purpose was the earth formed?" asked Candide.
	"To drive us mad," replied Martin.	  - Voltaire, _Candide_
[---the opinions expressed are mine...the official Big Red Word may differ---]

donnell@ux.acs.umn.edu (BogusMan) (01/04/91)

In article <2516@excelan.COM> bdelvecc@kinetics.com (Brian Del Vecchio) writes:
>I believe that the packet structure is not published by Novell.  Instead,
>the API is documented at the software interrupt level, and a C library
>interface to the API is provided for DOS and OS/2 clients.  There is also
>a Mac client API available, but I know less about it.

this is most interesting, but can the common man, working for a rather
cheap group, get a hold of a netware programming interface?  or is it one
of those "extra" developer's kits you must buy?

i am interested in doing some netware programming to customize and enhance
our lan, and am curious as to the availability of libraries and reference
material on the subject.

we are running SFT Netware 286, version 2.15.

any help would be greatly appreciated, and i would be more than happy to
post a synopsis of e-mailed replies.

thanks!
-brian

brian donnell