[comp.sys.novell] Novell support on Sun workstations

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (01/03/91)

Does anybody have any idea what it takes to get Novell support on
a Sun workstation?  I asked Grover Righter at Novell this question a few
months ago and he laughed and said "It's not even on the list".  This
is a pretty serious shortcoming as far as we are concerned.

Thanks  -- Walt

wittmann@erb1.engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.082322.23410@hellgate.utah.edu> haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>Does anybody have any idea what it takes to get Novell support on
>a Sun workstation?  I asked Grover Righter at Novell this question a few
>months ago and he laughed and said "It's not even on the list".  This
>is a pretty serious shortcoming as far as we are concerned.
>
>Thanks  -- Walt

What sort of support are you looking for?  A number of months ago, I do
recall someone at Novell talking about IPX on Unix, but I really think
they were "feeling the water".

It seems that Novell's intentions to support NFS is a better way to
go than trying to support IPX and related protocols on the Sun (or
other) workstation.

I suppose the real issue becomes one of server management.  If you want
to administer your Novell network from anything but a PC, your going to
have trouble.  There are some Macintosh APIs, but they are no where near
as rich as the DOS APIs.  I'd guess that some similar subset of APIs for
Unix might come along some day as well.

Art

Art Wittmann                                  Phone: (608) 263-1748
Network Manager                               Email: wittmann@engr.wisc.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Center                or: wittmann@cae.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin, Madison

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (01/04/91)

In article <292@erb1.engr.wisc.edu> wittmann@erb1.UUCP (art wittmann) writes:
>In article <1991Jan3.082322.23410@hellgate.utah.edu> haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>>Does anybody have any idea what it takes to get Novell support on
>>a Sun workstation?
>What sort of support are you looking for?

I want to have a workstation with data accessible by everybody on campus.
This workstation needs to speak a variety of protocols, ideally TCP/IP,
Novell and Appletalk, to serve essentially everybody.  So I would need
software that could perform server functions for PCs running as Novell
clients.

-- Walt

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.082322.23410@hellgate.utah.edu> haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>Does anybody have any idea what it takes to get Novell support on
>a Sun workstation?  I asked Grover Righter at Novell this question a few
>months ago and he laughed and said "It's not even on the list".  This
>is a pretty serious shortcoming as far as we are concerned.
>
>Thanks  -- Walt

This is my primary concern, also.  When it comes to Novell, I consider myself
pretty ignurnt.  I have to try to get a Novell network connected to my Sun
Sparcstation and then try to get my program to work, though.  My program
uses Berkeley sockets to establish communications from IBM PC's to the
Sparcstation, with the PC's running Sun's PC-NFS and 3Com ethernet cards.

I have been monitoring this group for awhile to see if this specific issue was
being addressed.  I have been trying to make sense of the IPX encapsulation in
TCP/IP packets.  To date, I haven't seen much that I can directly relate to my
problem.

I guess my request for information boils down to this:

                                     Novell 3.1 Network
		|===================================================|
                I                       I           I
                I                       I           I
           +---------+                +---+       +---+
           |         |                |   |       |   |
           |  Sun    |                +---+       +---+
           | Sparc 2 |             +---------+ +---------+
           |         |             |IBM PS/2 | |IBM PS/2 |
           +---------+             +---------+ +---------+

What hardware is required?
What software is required?
What about network driver interference in the PC?
Will I have to run two networks?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated and I will summarize any response
that I receive.

I have got to believe that in the global quest to tie everything to everything,
this problem has come up and been resolved.

/craig
----
Craig S. Wilson           |    Democracy      |uucp path under construction.
Com Squared Systems, Inc  |    is not  a      |craig@c2s.mn.org
2520 Pilot Knob Road      |    spectator      |(612) 452-9522 voice
Mendota Heights MN 55120  |      sport.       |(612) 452-3607 fax