[comp.sys.novell] printing problems

castillo@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Brian Anderson) (01/08/91)

I'm trying to get my Novell network to share a laserprinter, so far with
limited success.  I'm running Advanced Netware 286 V2.15C over Ethernet.

The first problem occurs when printing the printer.tst file from Word
Perfect.  This prints just fine when I'm logged in as Supervisor but
fails on the second page when I'm logged in as anyone else.  This
problem goes away when I suppress the graphics output of the test
document, and it does not appear to be related to the file size (larger
text-only files print fine) or which workstation I use.  I've tried
using different timeout values with the Capture command, but that
doesn't change anything.

The second, more serious, problem occurs when I start Microsoft Excel
for Windows.  Excel runs fine but all attempts to print spreadsheets
just disappear into hyperspace.  Of course once I'm logged out of the
network and directly connected to the laserprinter everything works
fine.
                                     *
Any clues or suggestions as to WTHIGO?

*(What The Hell Is Going On)
--
"make lots of money", "enjoy the work", "operate within the law":  pick any 2
Brian Anderson                    | "It's hard to work in a group when you're

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (01/08/91)

(printing via net bottoms out - ok when attached to pc directly)
Are you limiting disk space?
The spool files for the queue (generic spool you nit pickers) counts
against the users disk quota on SYS:  As supervisor you of course
by-pass the quota..

jamesp@world.std.com

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (01/08/91)

castillo@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Brian Anderson) writes:
>I'm trying to get my Novell network to share a laserprinter, so far with
>limited success.  I'm running Advanced Netware 286 V2.15C over Ethernet.

What kind of laserprinter are we talking about?

>The first problem occurs when printing the printer.tst file from Word
>Perfect.  This prints just fine when I'm logged in as Supervisor but
>fails on the second page when I'm logged in as anyone else.  This
>problem goes away when I suppress the graphics output of the test
>document, and it does not appear to be related to the file size (larger
>text-only files print fine) or which workstation I use.  I've tried
>using different timeout values with the Capture command, but that
>doesn't change anything.

It sounds like you have the storage limits set too small.  When you
"print" on the network, the server actually creates a spool file, and
erases when it gets it to the printer.  The space needed to store this
temporary spool file is counted against the user's quota.  (I don't know
about Netware 386, but I know this is true with Advanced Netware)

Furthermore, graphic images (bit-mapped) take LOTS of data to represent,
even small ones, compared to text.

>The second, more serious, problem occurs when I start Microsoft Excel
>for Windows.  Excel runs fine but all attempts to print spreadsheets
>just disappear into hyperspace.  Of course once I'm logged out of the
>network and directly connected to the laserprinter everything works
>fine.

Have you tried printing from other Windows applications?

--
 "And now, adding color                 |    Il Hwan Oh
  a group of anonymous, Latin-American  |    University of Washington, Tacoma

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (01/09/91)

In article <4756@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> castillo@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Brian Anderson) writes:

>I'm trying to get my Novell network to share a laserprinter, so far with
>limited success.  I'm running Advanced Netware 286 V2.15C over Ethernet.
>
>The first problem occurs when printing the printer.tst file from Word
>Perfect.  This prints just fine when I'm logged in as Supervisor but
>fails on the second page when I'm logged in as anyone else.  This
>problem goes away when I suppress the graphics output of the test
>document, and it does not appear to be related to the file size (larger
>text-only files print fine) or which workstation I use.  I've tried
>using different timeout values with the Capture command, but that
>doesn't change anything.
>
>The second, more serious, problem occurs when I start Microsoft Excel
>for Windows.  Excel runs fine but all attempts to print spreadsheets
>just disappear into hyperspace.  Of course once I'm logged out of the
>network and directly connected to the laserprinter everything works
>fine.
>                                     *
>Any clues or suggestions as to WTHIGO?
>
>*(What The Hell Is Going On)

Brian,

Change your Print Config from TEXT to BYTE STREAM.  This should solve your
problem.  You can use the PRINTCON utility to do that.  If this doesn't
help, let me know and I'll see if my friend can help you.  You can reach
me via email, louie@cellar.bellcore.com