[comp.sys.novell] Using American Power Conversion's UPS on Novell

gregpf@momenta (Greg Presedo-Floyd) (01/09/91)

jsuker@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Johnathon Laurence Suker) writes:
>wondering if anyone had any experience with UPS's designed for or marketed
>specifically for a Novell Network.  We are running Netware 386 version 3.1

We have demonstrated that American Power Conversion in New Hampshire is adequate
for our 386/33 with multiple external SCSI disks.  We yanked the master power
cord.  It works.  We had a brownout.  It works.

We bought from a re-seller.  The manufacturer is :
American Power Conversion
P.O. Box 278
132 Fairgrounds Rd.
W. Kingston, RI 02892
800-541-8896 (voice)
D3016	     (Applelink)	<--- Will someone mail this to them  ???

Model 600LS

PROBLEMS we had:
1)  They sell a soft/hard-ware "installation kit" for both Novell and SCO
    Unix. We bough both. The serial cables are NOT interchangable and NOT
    labeled. One tech support call ...

2)  They copy ON TOP OF ( DO NOT ASK if you want the orginals saved ) several
    Novell "run-time" libraries(?) like STREAM.DU, CLIB.NLM, and APC.NLM .

    This is typical "kludge" system administration in the Novell world.
    Automation is difficult (you get cute windows) and files are
    simply replaced during installs. (End of tangent)

3)  After running the installation out of the box, the UPS bring-up
    CRASHED the server!

4)  I got a new install via FEDX.  It worked with another tech support call.

5)  The UPS logs in as SUPERVISOR or an equivalent.  I think the UPS turns
    on "Allow un-encrypted passwords".  Bad boy!

    Also, the ROOT PASSWORD IS STORED AS A TEXT STRING in the APC.NLM,
    after you have installed it !  Use "strings" on it to see. Gosh, it
    is so difficult to run a mild scramble on this string.  Yes, I realise
    that /SYSTEM should have restricted permissions anyway, but the
    root password still shouldn't be on the system !

Believe it or not, I am going to buy another American Power Conversion UPS.
It is a known working quantity for me.

APS, will you respond on the net ??
--
Greg Presedo-Floyd		"Representing myself"
Momenta Corporation		415-969-3876

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (01/10/91)

APC (American Power Conversion) also has a slick interface aside from
the novell ups card support.  Its called a power-chute - It does a better
job of determining when the server should shut down after a power failure
and then it shuts the UPS down so the batts don't just totally discharge.

I had a set running on two nw/286 server (386/8meg/disks...) and
was very happy with them.  Just don't set the power failure time too short
(i think above 20 secs is ok) or it will shut the server down on boot.

jamesp@world.std.com