[comp.sys.novell] Invalid command.com

oberste@ncifcrf.gov (Oberste) (01/09/91)

In article <8045@hub.ucsb.edu>, 9531reza@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Reza R. Heydarpour) writes:
> I get the following error "invalid commad.com cannot load command
> system halted" message when exiting an application on the server.
> I have no idea what it is that I must do to stop this error from
> happening.   Any help or ideas to resolve this problem would be
> appreciated.
>
> Reza Heydarpour

It sounds like your system is mapped to the wrong DOS version. We had a similar problem with DOS 4.00 and 4.01. Apparently, early versions of DOS 4.01 appeared to Netware as v. 4.00, so that when an application exited, it used v. 4.00, not the v. 4.01 the machine was booted with. (You don't say which Netware version   you are using, but this is true with NW 386 v. 3.1). Check to see that you have mapped the correct DOS directory in your system login script. If Netware         inquires and get the wrong ver

sion, you may have to hard code the correct
directory (or standardize on one DOS version). Good Luck.

steve
--
Steve Oberste                            Internet: oberste@ncifcrf.gov
LCMS, PRI, NCI-FCRDC

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (01/09/91)

1 - Make sure that the correct command.com is pointed to via
    COMSPEC environ var.  If sub-dirs change a lot do a d: instead of
    d:\

2- Make sure tyhe correct command.com is in the path.  If you have
   command.com for say dos4.0, dos3.3 and compaq dos x.x, the pc needs
   to be able to reload the correct one.  Someone elses will doa the
   workstation.

This is caused by the resident portion of command com wanting to reload the
non-res portion and finding the wrong command.com.

jamesp@world.std.com

wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (william sadler) (01/10/91)

9531reza@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Reza R. Heydarpour) writes:

>I get the following error "invalid commad.com cannot load command
>system halted" message when exiting an application on the server.
>I have no idea what it is that I must do to stop this error from
>happening.   Any help or ideas to resolve this problem would be
>appreciated.

>Reza Heydarpour

You need to put a line in your login script that points to either
a directory on the server where the same version of the DOS file
command.com is, or points to your hard disk or boot disk.

Mine looks like this:

set comspec=c:\command.com

If you use the server it should look something like this:

map ins s1:=\public\dos  (or wherever it is)
set comspec=s1:command.com

You should probably ask your sysadmin about setting this up for you
if you have one.

good luck,
Will

*Will Sadler		Indiana University Law School-Bloomington    *
*will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu	wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu       *