[comp.sys.novell] Can I keep files secure from the Supervisor?

peterj@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Peter Juhl) (01/03/91)

We have a legal department in our company that wants to put its
users on an existing Novell network. They don't want the hassles
of administrating their own network. The problem is that some of
their data is very sensitive, and they don't want anybody outside
their own department to see it.

Is there a way, short of manual encryption that they can secure their
data from the LAN Administrator?

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (01/04/91)

In article <9556@rosevax.Rosemount.COM> peterj@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Peter Juhl) writes:
>We have a legal department in our company that wants to put its
>users on an existing Novell network. They don't want the hassles
>of administrating their own network. The problem is that some of
>their data is very sensitive, and they don't want anybody outside
>their own department to see it.
>
>Is there a way, short of manual encryption that they can secure their
>data from the LAN Administrator?

No. They have perhaps three choices:

1) learn to adminster their own network

2) trust the admin

3) explain to the admin what will happen to him if company confidential
   information is improperly disclosed.

A combination of 2 and 3 is probably their best bet.

Gary

--
Gary Heston System Mismanager and technoflunky uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.  SCI Systems, Inc.     gary@sci34hub.sci.com

yetsko@interlan.interlan.com (Mike Yetsko) (01/04/91)

   From: gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.novell,comp.dcom.lans.novell
   Date: 3 Jan 91 19:14:07 GMT

   In article <9556@rosevax.Rosemount.COM> peterj@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Peter Juhl) writes:
   >We have a legal department in our company that wants to put its
   >users on an existing Novell network. They don't want the hassles
   >of administrating their own network. The problem is that some of
   >their data is very sensitive, and they don't want anybody outside
   >their own department to see it.
   >
   >Is there a way, short of manual encryption that they can secure their
   >data from the LAN Administrator?

   No. They have perhaps three choices:

   1) learn to adminster their own network

   2) trust the admin

   3) explain to the admin what will happen to him if company confidential
      information is improperly disclosed.

   A combination of 2 and 3 is probably their best bet.

   Gary

   --
   Gary Heston System Mismanager and technoflunky uunet!sci34hub!gary or
   My opinions, not theirs.  SCI Systems, Inc.     gary@sci34hub.sci.com
     *   In Memory of White Sox, the family dog, 1975-1/1/1991.   *
     *   Loyal, faithful, and stubborn to the end. We miss him.   *

Then, depending on physical layout of your connections, worry about
what happens when someone somewhere else on the net gets a copy
of some sort of sniffer program.

Mike Yetsko

jamesp@world.std.com (james M peterson) (01/04/91)

Look into Secret Disk II by Lattice - It makes an encrypted virtual disk
out of a file.

I had a demo a a year or so ago - it was neat.  I don't know if it will
work on a novell though.

jamesp@world.std.com

ddg@intuit.intuit.COM (David DelGreco) (01/14/91)

peterj@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Peter Juhl) writes:

>We have a legal department in our company that wants to put its
>users on an existing Novell network. They don't want the hassles
>of administrating their own network. The problem is that some of
>their data is very sensitive, and they don't want anybody outside
>their own department to see it.

>Is there a way, short of manual encryption that they can secure their
>data from the LAN Administrator?

There is not a way to keep files secure from the Administrator or someone
with supervisor priveleges.  It would not be a good idea to support this
feature anyway, since you run the risk of locking yourself out of your
own house, so to speak.

You might be able to automate the encryption process, though.  There are
several good encryption programs around (PCSecure, in the PCTools package,
is my favorite) which can be run from a command line.  You could write an
executable or batch file which would unencrypt a file as you go into the
application, and re-encrypt it when you exit.

I realize that's limited, but your only other choice is to have the
department administer their own server, or agree on an admin they can
trust.

David DelGreco
ddg@intuit.com